1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Rockford Files' remake on the way (2012 EDIT: Now maybe a movie?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006650.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Since "TRF" is probably my favorite TV show of all time, my first inclination is to screech "sacrilege," but I have heard good things about "House," and from what I've heard it has a semi-Rockfordesque irreverent edge to it, so who knows -- I suppose it could be good.

Also involved is Steve Carrell's production company. I like some (not all) of Carrell's roles, and he could be real good in a couple of roles (Dennis Becker or Lt. Chapman), but I hope to hell they resist the temptation to attach him as the "name" of the project -- he wouldn't be good as Jim Rockford.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Re: 'Rockford Files' remake on the way

Can't anyone in Hollywood get a fresh idea?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Steve Carell, but no way on God's green earth does he work as Rockford.

House isn't irreverent in the same way Rockford is.

The cool thing about Rockford is its irreverence is grounded in reality, it was the anti-smooth talkin' cop/detective show. House is irreverent for the opposite reason, all of its smart-ass vibe is totally detached from reality. House would get his arrogant ass kicked and/or fired in about five minutes in the real world.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would actually welcome a private eye show. Though if they were able to get Robert Crais to sell the rights to Elvis Cole, I think that would be even better.
    As for Rockford, I'd suggest Ron Livingston, he can easily carry the wise-ass stuff.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How about Dwayne Johnson?

Seriously.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Dennis Dugan as Richie Brockelman, Director?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

How about just leaving well enough alone. Next we'll have Barnaby Jones reruns, McCloud reruns, McMillan and wife reruns. Where will it end?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great thought.

9. Simon_Cowbell

It really bothered me when Billy Batts put two slugs into Dennis in the trunk of that car.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I could see Jenna Fischer as a new version of Beth Davenport.

Along those lines, how about Creed Bratton as Rocky, Jim's dad? Craig Robinson as Gandolph Finch?

Pivotal casting call: Whoever would be the new Angel Martin.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Zach Galifianakis

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I'm goign to stick with this one. It was one of those shows I watched when I was SUPER young (went off the air when I was 4) but I remember watching it with my dad. Remember the theme song. This I am not excited about.

Draft saved Draft deleted