1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock & Roll: Dead?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 21, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It says a lot about the state of music that the two biggest tours of the summer are bands who I saw both of their farewell tours.... 25 years ago...

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice post cyclingwriter. One clarification--we may have listened to the Osmonds and the Jacksons, but we bought Steve Miller and Bad Company and Kansas.

So let me take a couple of the bands you mention that I can enjoy: The Strokes and Modest Mouse. And I ask myself, what's their name recognition, what's their Q rating. If The Strokes go on tour, does it generate the buzz or recognition across the broad populace in a way that say REM or U2 or Aerosmith did back in the day? I would say negative. Would it even equate on a Supertramp or Boston or INXS level? If Modest Mouse releases an album, does it generate the widespread interest a Bowie or Gabriel or Crue record might have back in the day. It doesn't seem to in my view.

So then I ask is that because of the music itself, or is it because the way music is distributed, and more importantly, consumed today, causes a fragmentation that doesn't create the mass appeal opportunities of the past. Are there just too many visual and aural distractions that the modern music artist must compete against. It's really a tremendous research opportunity from a sociological, economic and artistic perspective to try and figure out what changed and more importantly why, or what were the factors behind that.

And if you are going to stand on my lawn, please mow it--dealing with a lot of rain here recently.

I Should Coco and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Just listened to 30 seconds of a Kendrick Lamar song. Holy shit, that was awful.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think asking if rock has died is a cliche that is brought out every 10 years or so.

There are bands making rock music - good rock music, but there might be fewer of them or they might be stashed away a little deeper on the internet or radio.

The Orwells
    Band of Horses
    Built to Spill
    The Hold Steady
    The Black Keys

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What was the last band you thought was truly great?

For me, it would probably be The White Stripes. That's certainly not saying there have been no great bands since then, but it's probably more a reflection of my age and not being exposed to as much newer music as you get older compared to when you were in your 20s.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do solo artists qualify? If so, Sturgill Simpson.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I just looked at the Grammys for Best Rock Album since 2000. Thoughts:

-- Led Zeppelin won it. In 2014. Among those they beat out are Black Sabbath, David Bowie and Neil Young.
    -- The Foo Fighters won it four times.
    -- Green Day and U2 won it twice each.
    -- Such new blood as Springsteen, Santana and Red Hot Chili Peppers won it once each.
    -- Coldplay is not "rock."
    -- Of the other winners, I've never heard of Muse.
    -- What I've heard of them, I like Beck and the Black Keys, but I'm not sure I'd classify either as "rock."

8. Old people bitching about "today's" music and the death of rock and roll.
    Awesome.

I was looking at Coachella coverage on RS. Of the highlighted stuff, I think they were like two artists I'd heard of, one was Steely Dan.

Who cares ... Music tastes change. Kids rebel. ... Do we really care that kids aren't listening to rock n roll?
    Esp. these kids ...
    ‘Kylie Jenner challenge’ leaving teens’ lips bruised, swollen | Fox News

9. Mr. Sunshine

Beloved by those in my general music circle, so I feel kinda bad his stuff has little appeal for me. Found a couple songs I liked initially, but I've been meh on everything since.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I think today's music is good? It's just not rock. Guitar music is dead as a widespread cultural force. In many respects, so is music.

11. Dick Whitman

Then what are the Black Keys??!!

12. Mr. Sunshine

I don't give a fuck what kids are listening to. I just want some decent new music for my own listening pleasure.

Draft saved Draft deleted