1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock & Roll: Dead?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Wilco killed rock 'n' roll.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I thought Radiohead did.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was just about to look these numbers up, but to support the idea that Rock is "dead". (Well, maybe not "dead", but certainly struggling.)

U2, the Stones, the Eagles, AC/DC, etc. can all pack stadiums. Depending on who's touring in any given summer, the top grossing artists are almost always classic rock acts.

But, which is the most recent one to hit the scene? Dave Matthews (who alone are greatly controversial as a "Rock" act) maybe? They debuted 25 years ago.

4. YankeeFan

Country is the new Rock and Roll.

Suck on it liberal elites.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mainstream country is too awful for words.

Most cultured liberals actually like real country.

OscarMadison and jpetrie18 like this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can only think of Audioslave and the Foo Fighters, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

I guess that proves your point. The only bands I could think of are populated by ex members of other bands from the early '90s.

However, even if the dominant live acts are considered "classic rock," it's still far from dead.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Mostly true.

But, the truth is that Country dominates radio in the heartland. And, if you're interested in playing/writing guitar based music, you're going to gravitate towards country, and the odds of hitting it in Nashville are greater than getting signed by an LA or New York based record label.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mainstream country is terrible, but it's no worse than most other mainstream music. My idea of hell is being stuck in an elevator for eternity with nothing but Kanye West and Arcade Fire music on a loop.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, Foo Fighters is probably a better answer -- though do they play stadiums -- but as you point out, they emerged from a '90s band. It's kind of sad.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Katy Perry, for instance, is 1,000 times better than Florida Georgia Line, Blake Shelton, and their ilk.

FileNotFound and Iron_chet like this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Where is Layne Staley when you need him? Oh, yeah, he's dead.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Gary Clark Jr. seems to be growing significantly in popularity, although he's not a superstar yet:

And the Alabama Shakes new album came out today. It's excellent, in my opinion, and has been getting good reviews. I guess we'll see if that turns into commercial success and/or cultural influence.

Draft saved Draft deleted