1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll HOF nominees announced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Some of these, I'd admit to. Some of them...are you trying to sabotage R.E.M.'s chances? Listen, if people start to think Stipe had a hand in "Breakfast at Tiffany's," the rejection when R.E.M. doesn't get the call will sting unmerciful.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

BOC's influence on heavy metal (Metallica was pulling a lot of lyrical ideas from the band in the early days) shouldn't be ignored...although it is. The band definitely was much more than Reaper, Godzilla and Burning For You.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

well, that's the power of influence.

embassy row .... fourth record, seventh song.

4. Frylock

Frylock Member

Add criteria:
    No prog rock (Rush).
    No metal (with some exceptions).
    BTW, Rush's sound has changed dramatically through the years. Unfortunately, Geddy Lee's voice hasn't.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

fever_dog: Kudos to you, sir.

Junkie: Why include Pavement and GBV in "two decades of suck?"

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I guess I don't see/hear the magic of R.E.M. Never hated the band, but they just didn't seem to be that special.

Different, yes. But the band has none of the history-making moments some others have. Let's see; we can choose between a song drunken frat guys try to keep up with, or "Stand." Yawn, big time.

The group also seemed to be drifting big-time the last few years of its existence. Not as much of a train wreck as Van Halen, but not progressing, either.

But they'll get in the Hall, and probably right away.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

You've got to be mentioning "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" when you say 'song drunken frat guys try to keep up with.'

Killing my cred here...I was the only drunken guy in my frat who knew every word. Or cared to. It was 2002, after all. Frat boys these days don't listen to R.E.M.

8. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

"losing my religion" was their biggest hit.

i was surprised how well their albums charted.
    since 1991:

out of time -- 1
    automatic for the people -- 2
    monster -- 1
    new adventures in hi-fi -- 2
    up -- 3
    reveal - 6
    around the sun -- 13

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I only ever liked two R.E.M. songs -- "The One I Love" and "Orange Crush." Play those two songs, then put on the DC5. :D

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

murmur just owns

11. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

man, where were all you dissenters when i was hating on REM for past 15 years?

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

masturbating to rush, apparently

Draft saved Draft deleted