1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll HOF nominees announced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Ronettes...
    Patti Smith
    Ronnie Spector
    Ronnie Spector
    And, I guess, Dave Clark Five...

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few thoughts on each...

REM -- The only slam dunk, no-brainer here. Great band, hugely influential, critical and music snob darling that also sold a ton of records. No question they're in.

Patti Smith -- I'll be a dissenting voice here - as a music fan, I've spent the last 25 years being told by critics I'm supposed to worship Patti Smith. Frankly, I don't give a shit about Patti Smith, and I'm not sure anyone else outside of NYC does, either.

Chic -- Depends - do you go strictly by the band's work, or does Nile Rodgers' influence in general count? I'd be more inclined to say yes to Nile, no to Chic.

Dave Clark Five -- I don't think so. Nice band, pretty successful, but does anyone remember anything besides "Bits and Pieces" and "Glad All Over"? Borderline to me.

Grandmaster Flash -- Can one song get you into the hall? I dunno. (And no, "White Lines (Don't Do It)" is not a consideration in their favor.) As great as "The Message" is, I'm not sure that song alone is worth putting them in. If they go in I think you have to put Sugarhill Gang in for "Rapper's Delight."

The Ronettes -- Uh, can one song get you into the hall? I was gong to say yes to them before I looked at their discography - not much there after "Be My Baby." Phil Spector's already in, so I'm thinking the Ronettes are out.

Stooges -- I think they're in. Punk before punk existed. And the Hall needs Iggy.

Joe Tex -- I'm guessing not, but I don't know enough about him to make an informed comment on this.

Van Halen -- Sure, put 'em in. You sure as hell got worse in there, and they were a great band before Dave left. They've been eligible for a few years, so it's no sure thing.

I'm inclined to agree with Junkie on KISS -- they may be big, loud, dumb and over the top, but KISS belongs in the hall. Hugely influential, and better than they get credit for.

So anyway, I'll vote for REM, The Stooges, and Van Halen. If forced to add 5, I'd throw in the DC5 and Grandmaster Flash. And I'm guessing the 5 who actually go in will be REM, The Stooges, Van Halen, Patti Smith and the Ronettes.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I'm a little late to this, but.

What is the official criteria of the HOF for being nominated, then the criteria for being inducted? Let's all go from there.

PS: I had to rush through the Rock N Roll HOF in about 2 1/2 hours and loved every second of it.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ronnie probably has a restraining order against him. And if she doesn't, she should get one.

The DC5 really did hold tough in Britain while the Fabs were sweeping everything else away. Their first No. 1 single, "Glad All Over," displaced "I Want To Hold Your Hand."

Another group of the same era that deserves the same kind of critical respect (but will probably never get it) is Gerry and the Pacemakers, who also hung in there through early 1965.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with one word of that, especially the Van Halen part. PC's synapsis is good too.

Can't stand Patti Smith ... overrated. Someone explain her influence to me. Seriously. It's way overblown.

Where the fuck is Mott The Hoople? Very underrated.

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

Criteria: No prog rock (especially Rush).
    Basically anything else that Rolling Stone pushed through the years.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you said 'rush'

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

How much of an argument would ensue if someone were to say R.E.M. isn't an absolute lock?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY DYE PACK?!?!?!

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Prog rock gets a bad rap.
    Yes, King Crimson =Good bands.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

REM influenced a generation of college rock bands.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In their prog rock incarnation, Genesis did some decent things too.

Draft saved Draft deleted