1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll HOF nominees announced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Huggy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not exactly a stellar group here. Five of them get in:

R.E.M., Patti Smith, Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Ronettes, the Stooges, Joe Tex and Van Halen

My choices:

Van Halen (for the Diamond Dave era if nothing else)

R.E.M. (tough to argue)

Patti Smith (critic's darling)

The rest of them chipped in with great singles or albums (like the Stooges Raw Power) but I don't see them as HOF material.

Have at it.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Stuns me that the Dave Clark Five is not already there.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Van Halen
    REM
    Patti Smith
    All three are locks.

After that, I'd have to go with Dave Clark Five and Grandmaster Flash.

But honestly, the rest are pretty shaky.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

When the Beatles were making their early run, there was the Beatles ... and the Dave Clark Five ... and nothing.

They were it. They could fill up the chart by themselves.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

R.E.M. — I like some of their music. Pretty important band.
    Van Halen — No brainer, although everything since 'Diver Down' has pretty much sucked.
    Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five — A no-brainer in my mind because 'The Message' remains the seminal rap song.
    Chic — Doesn't belong.
    Patti Smith — Very influential. Wrote some good songs, but I can't listen to her. I wouldn't vote for her, but she probably deserves to be in.
    The Stooges — Very influential. I'd vote for them.
    Joe TEx — Nope.
    The Ronettes — Nope.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My picks

REM - Influential, popular rock band. They defined the college radio sound in the early 80s before breaking through to the mainstream.
    Patti Smith - Barely gets in on the first ballot. Influential female punk poet of the 70s through now. However her biggest hit wasn't one of her own songs - it was a cover of a Springsteen song.
    The Ronettes - One of the best girl groups of the 60s. An integral group in defining Phil Spector's 'wall of sound' Influential group as well (Springsteen covered them quite a bit in concert in the 70s plus his version of Santa Claus is based on their version on the 'Phil Spector's Christmas Wish To You' album)

the rest:
    Chic - doesn't belong in the hall
    Dave Clark Five - maybe I'm showing my age, but were they big enough and influential enough in the 60s to warrant induction?
    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - although rap and hip-hop have the same roots as rock, it ain't rock
    The Stooges - good influential band, but not HoF worthy
    Joe Tex - I'm drawing a blank, who is this?
    Van Halen - Powerful, influential, but the rock hall seems to be biased against hard rock bands like this on the first ballot. Next year they're in, this year, I'm not so sure. Plus which lineup are they voting in Van Roth or Van Hagar?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I forgot the Dave Clark Five — No.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

REM, Patti Smith, Grandmaster Flash and Van Halen are locks. Fifth spot is between DC5 and the Stooges.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Joe, regarding genre, I agree that rap/hip hop is not rock, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a lot of people/acts in it that were not rock musicians. That's why I wold vote for Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

REM, Patti and Van Halen are, and should be, complete locks.

DC5 -- Probably, but I'm about 12 years to young to really have a feel for their importance.
    Grandmaster Flash -- belongs in music hall of fame, but not rock n roll hall.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Van Halen's a mortal lock because of the possibility they actually reunite during the jam portion of the ceremony. That is, if Eddie can limp on stage...and DLR can wheeze out some lyrics and make an attempt at a windmill kick without tearing his groins in half...and Michael Anthony can waddle on stage.

God, that reunion is going to be depressing.

R.E.M. is a mortal lock too.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And REM can likely still play a solid set.

Draft saved Draft deleted