1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Definitive 200 albums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Time for another music list for the board cynics and musical vultures to pick apart?

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a list of the 200 Definitive Albums, which I'll make the leap to infer 'best'.

http://www.rockhall.com/pressroom/definitive-200

Lots of love for the Dixie Chicks and Eminem. And soundtracks, too. Grease at 37? Footloose at 140? Say what?

Not much love for REM and Tom Petty.

A lot to pick on, but I'll leave some meat for the rest of the board. Will throw out just a few:

Overrated: Santana, 'Supernatural' at #13. And 'Sgt. Peppers at #1--hype over substance.

Undervalued: Zeppelin, 'Physical Graffiti at #93 & EJ, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' at #118.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This week marks the 20th Anny of Joshua Tree, for those of us wanting to feel really f'ning old.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No Creedence Clearwater Revival but 50 cents and the Dixie Chicks on a "Rock and Roll top 200" - Green River was very influential to Southern Rock genre.

at least they did not make you click through 5 pages to view entire list.

4. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Nora Jones, Shania Twain, Whitney Houston. Yeah, they rock real hard.

5. I submit this list was written by the producers of "American Idol" during a 3 day crack binge.

It looks to be driven more by hype/pop chart record sales than substance or influence.

Shania F'ing Twain's "Come On Over" as the #21 "Definitive" album?

"Revolver" at #42. "London Calling" at #96 (followed by Celine Dion's "Falling Into You" at #97). Here are a few that ranked higher than Revolver: the Soundtrack to Grease (#37), Def Leppard "Hysteria" (#36), Dixie Chicks (#33), Outkast (#29), Norah Frickin' Jones? (#27), & Alanis Morissette (#26).

P.S. Andrea Bocelli's on the list at #194. Avril Lavigne's at #162. And Public Enemy's Nation of Millions was ranked 156, two spots behind Will Smith's "Big Willie Style."

Flat-out insane.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The Doors' debut album is my personal favorite, so I think it should be higher. What an awesome, awesome album.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

That's a ridiculous list. First of all, define "definitive", and how can a a complilation soundtrack such as Forrest Gump (Christ, if you are goign to choose a soundtrack from that year, Pulp Fiction would be better) be definitive.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"The Doors are revolutionary music for the Pop Tarts crowd. Morrison was lame-ass film school dilettante. How their album be ahead of "Who's Next?"

/ Fenian Bastard

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A quick look and I don't see a single album from The Band.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

How the fuck can any list of definative music have Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion on it? Avril Lavigne...you know that chick's name is April Levin and they just roughed it up to make her sound "cool".

11. Music From Big Pink?
    Blonde On Blonde?

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? Hello?

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Absurd. Not even sure what this list is. It's not a rock list.

Draft saved Draft deleted