1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Class Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Oct 8, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I've heard the first one thousands of times (somehow without knowing the title OR the band). Never heard the other one, but it's really pretty good.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For far too long the RNRHOF has essentially been run directly out of Jann Wenner's anal orifice, and the inductees -- and excludees -- have reflected that.

Certain genres have been wildly over represented while others -- mid 70s arena rock and prog rock most conspicuously -- have been effectively shut out.

If Wenner or whoever else controls the Hall want it to survive, they'll have to go back and play catchup on a lot of those hugely popular acts who have been kept out because Wenner didn't like the way they smelled.

The past half-decade or so, it appears there's been a kind of artists mafia that has developed in and around the HOF which appears to be driving the selection process in a more inclusive direction.

There have been several stories that people like Steve Van Zandt, Dave Grohl and even Eddie Vedder are pretty valuable guys to have on your side if you're a borderline HOF contender. Grohl supposedly really lobbied hard to finally get Rush in.

Thus probably inevitably creates a downward drift phenomenon when acts are inducted who previously had been passed over, but in the end who really cares that much?

Does it devalue the Beatles if Roxy Music gets in? Are Elvis and Buddy Holly downgraded if Warren Zevon is inducted?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Leonard Cohen's being in downgrades every brick of the HOF building, even more so than the place's being in Cleveland.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went to see Cheap Trick play about 5-6 times in their heyday, bought their albums, and enjoyed them. Had the classic t-shirt. But never for a moment did I think they were HOF caliber. Because they're not.

Riptide likes this.
  5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

They need another metal band in addition to Metallica. How Iron Maiden (who just released a sensational album and who sell out arenas all over the world despite zero radio play throughout their 35-year history) get no attention is beyond me.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I'll use my write-in votes for NOFX and Pennywise.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You've obviously only heard one Deep Purple song. Absolute Hall of Famers.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's really not much debate that the flow of "HOF-caliber" "rock" music artists has drastically slowed in the last 15-20 years, pretty much to a trickle.

A lot of that of course has to do with the way music is packaged, distributed and marketed.

I mean, what acts which debuted after 2000 really look to be on any kind of HOF career trajectory? The Black Keys?

What that means, really, is that the RNRHOF is either going to have to go back through the "historic" years of rock and induct artists which have been previously passed over (in effect, lowering the admission standards) or keep going back and re-honoring the same people over and over again. Do we have to figure out eight or nine ways Lennon & McCartney need to be inducted so we can justify keeping BTO or Journey out?

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, Chicago, Steve Miller, Deep Purple

I listened to The Smiths a lot back in the day as well as the other bands that came along at the same time. But, they weren't so big to others besides me to warrant Hall of Fame. They had a niche audience and as much staying power as is needed to be Hall-worthy.
    * There may never be another 1994, when the likes of Grateful Dead, John Lennon and Bob Marley went in together with other notables.
    My opinion: Halls of fame are across the board characteristically too lenient with who they allow in.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple, NWA and Steve Miller.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd second Zevon and Roxy Music there.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted