1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll Flashpoints

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, May 1, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fuckin' Touchheads.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Joshua Tree album -- and this was the first single -- and the subsequent tour did take them to another level, where they've remained ever since.

But, as others have pointed out, their Live Aid performance was the breakout performance that brought them to a wider audience.

And, I think Under a Blood Red Sky had already given people a taste of their live performance, and made people want to see them.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

The opening credits of "Blackboard Jungle."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Pride (In The Name of Love)" hit pretty big in 1984.

I don't think they were "alt-rock curiosities" after "War" in 1983.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good call.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Mother Love Bone -- not Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice 'N Chains, or Pearl Jam -- was poised to be the first of the Seattle grunge bands to hit it big.

Then came March of 1990, when lead singer Andrew Wood dropped dead. Possibly the best lead singer of all those Seattle bands was lost to a heroin overdose. Some of the surviving members went on to form Pearl Jam. Chris Cornell and many others (Lane Staley not among them, sadly) were scared straight. 1990's rock 'n roll history changed its course in a hurry.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That's a great one.

Two more from that era -- Geffen keeping Butch Vig on the Nevermind recordings and PJ playing with Neil Young at the VMAs.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Can't believe nobody beat me to this: Rock history can be divided into two parts: Before the Beatles landed in NYC and went on Ed Sullivan, and after. Anyone have any firsthand memories of that, or any other Beatlemania?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Beatles arrival from England was bigger more for the string of other British imports it inspired, than for their future success. You could say the Beatles didn't flash over into an "important" band for a few more albums. On Ed Sullivan, they were just another pop sensation like Elvis (though on a bigger scale).

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good point, although the Beatles' arrival in America (and the flood of their music which hit the radio afterward) inspired a ton of American musicians, too.

This is an interesting thread idea. Artists with long careers (Neil Young, Prince, Santana, even recent Hall O'Famers like Heart and Rush) have had several turning points in their careers.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned REO earlier. The band gradually was shifting from Richrath-oriented to Cronin-oriented. And Keep on Loving You, which virtually invented the power ballad for better or worse, was a key indication of who was starting to win, though Richrath's guitar solo was the best part of that song and High Infidelity still had rockers like Tough Guys. Good Trouble, the following album, was just an out-and-out bomb. Afterward, Richrath's health problems escalated and Cronin became a health nut. The next album had Can't Fight This Feeling, which I think was the permanent turning point, because it was even more treacly and keyboard-oriented than Keep On Loving You, and Richrath's trademark solo was much less assertive in the mix.

12. Humungus

Humungus Member

had a twitter exchange with a music writer about the 92 vmas. nirvana crossing paths with guns n roses; chili peppers blow job acceptance; pearl jam. it was a real crossing of paths in music.

Draft saved Draft deleted