1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock And Broadway Die Together

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

See? The Lamb really Lies ... ah, I can't do it.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Haven't seen Jersey Boys, but I thought that was more biographical. Movin' Out (Billy Joel) and Mamma Mia were just weak efforts to put a plot around a litany of their respective artists tunes.

Am I wrong on that?

3. lono

lono Active Member

It's because of the rat-tail, BYH. It's so ... so ... so ... 80s.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Haven't seen Jersey Boys or Movin' Out but Mamma Mia was a plot with a story that really didn't have anything to do with the music.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jersey Boys is outstanding. It is biographical and very well done. I was fortunate enough to see the original cast. They're on their third "Frankie Valli" now.

I saw Mamma Mia locally, not on Broadway. Went to appease The Queen. I had no interest. I enjoyed it more than I thought. I'm hardly a fan of ABBA but it was a fun show. They do three songs at the end as kind of an "encore" because I guess they didn't fit into the story.

Have not seen Movin' Out.

Not a fan of the "Jukebox Musical" in general but I will rave about Jersey Boys until I die. I would rank it among the top 5 shows I've seen and I've seen a bunch.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I probably liked Movin' Out more than I should have . . . but otherwise . . . no.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I've never really thought of myself as someone who likes musicals, but in the past year, I've seen four on TV that I really enjoyed. I just want to see a live show period. The problem is, talking my husband in to taking me is like trying to talk him in to wearing a mini skirt in public with four-inch heels. I'd probably have more luck with the skirt and heels.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Auditions for the musical version of "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" begin in January and rumour has it that a musical based on the BeeGees is in the works too.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you want him to wear that stuff, you have to take the lead and wear it firstand post the link, then maybe he will.

And FWIW, I thought Mamma Mia the play rocked. The movie was decent. Movin' Out is more for someone into ballet.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw the set list and no hair metal play is complete without Jackyl — the death throes of the genre.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a lumberjack, baby....

Anyway, one of the best rock music-based stage things I have seen was Buddy: the Buddy Holly Story which fucking rocked each of the five times I saw it.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

don't find your hyperbole amusing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted