1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robinson can't sub for Bonds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Apr 14, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Buck, I respect your position. You know that, we've been over all this before.

Once or twice. Ha ha. :)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure how you can say "the lesser-known guys are worse" when you simultaneously provide the exact reason why they are roiding up, a reason that Bonds, McGwire and Palmeiro cannot fall back on.

I could almost excuse these other guys for doing what they have done. At the very least, I can certainly understand it. They weren't blessed with the same levels of talent. They didn't have 10-12 years or more of stardom in the show before realizing they had to start juicing up in order to remain competitive and/or soothe their egos. They didn't have big back accounts to see them through their golden years, as the stars ostensibly do.

They didn't have access to the kinds of opportunities enjoyed by Barry Bonds, able to hone his already impressive natural abilities under the watchful eye of his big-leaguer father and to showcase those abilities in front of scouts who will always pay more attention to those with the "right" bloodlines. Unless you honestly believe Pete Rose Jr. would have made it anywhere near the majors if his name was Pete Putzweiner and he had the same amount of talent, or lack thereof.

You know, that's probably the biggest outrage of all, that a guy with perhaps more natural talent and ability than anyone else who ever stepped on a ball field - I mean, in the entire history of the fucking game - could be so greedy and ungrateful and graceless and shameless that he would knowingly and deliberately use chemical enhancements to put himself even further ahead of the curve. And why? Apparently, because his fragile psyche could not handle knowing that two other players, out of the hundreds and hundreds of men who were and had been his colleagues and peers, were receiving the kind of press and love that he apparently thought should have been his, even though he has always disdained that sort of treatment. What kind of person is this, a pathological attention whore who cannot or will not, for whatever reason, embrace or even accept the adulation he so obviously craves? Maybe a psychiatrist could explain it, but I just can't. I can't even fathom it.

I guess that's why, now that I've stopped to actually think about it, I feel sorry for Barry Bonds. Really. He is a cosmic joke. For all the gifts he has been given, for all the opportunities he has enjoyed, for all the fame, money and records he has accumulated, he has missed out on one very crucial thing, maybe the most valuable thing of all - humility. Babe Ruth had it. Roger Maris had it. Hank Aaron has it. Barry Bonds does not have it. He either wasn't born with it, or no one has yet been able to impress its importance upon him. And this, more than anything else, is why he should never, ever be ranked with the true giants of this game. At the end of the day, ladies and gentlemen, Barry Bonds is nothing more than a bitter, angry little man, and he deserves from us nothing but our pity.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again." - Terence Mann.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

They take more stuff than a lot of the top guys, that's why I'm saying they're worse.

They have to, they have to take more chances, or else it's back to the minors.

That's my only point. :)

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

FYI to Zev,
    The Dodgers are hardly the only team whose players all will wear No. 42 today. There are a bunch of others, including the Astros.

And also FYI to Zev,
    Villifying Bonds will hardly lead to the end of the African-American baseball fan. That ship (if it ever had many passengers at all) sailed so long ago, it's not even funny.

All you have to do is look at the stands in Atlanta or St. Louis. 99.9999999% of the people in the stands are white. 99.99999999999% of the people serving the beer and hot dogs are black. However Bonds is treated, it won't make a whit of difference.

It's a lily-white suburban sport. Sad to say, but it is. That's why the increasing number of star players from other countries (regardless of colour) aren't exactly becoming part of the "national pastime"'s fabric.

5. creamora

creamora Member

Ballscribe says, "It's a lily-white suburban sport."

He forgot to add that it's also written about by lily-white suburban sports journalists.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't mean those lilly-white suburban writers aren't reporting on the game objectively. The truth is color-blind.

Just to complete the trifecta, what color are the guys flooding the game with illegal performance-enhancing drugs?

7. creamora

creamora Member

I wonder where the lily-white suburban sports reporters were at during the 1990's? Were they simply drunk and/or asleep while the rule changes in baseball were being implimented? What's with all the outrage ten years too late. Why didn't the lily-white reporters do their jobs at the time?

8. The Big Ragu

You're right.

And it also takes proof. No one had any in 1994 or 1998. Could someone, somewhere, have done a better job of catching one of the cheats and his suppliers in the act? Perhaps.

It still doesn't change reality. The sports writers you detest (more than 100 posts on this board all about Balco/Bonds/the SF Chronicle; all celebrating Balco & Bonds, while pointing fingers at the sports media and everyone other than Balco and Bonds) didn't inject any athletes. They didn't lie about and hide any athletes' usage. They didn't make the decision to cheat for the athletes they are now not willing to celebrate. Those writers are merely observers of the game, not participants.

Now that there is pretty good evidence of widespread cheating, the fact that no one reported it well 10 years ago doesn't change the fact that there was widespread cheating and lying about it. It doesn't make it any less true when someone writes about it today and expresses an opinion.

Smoke and mirrors as usual, creamora. Don't address the people who are the only ones responsible for their actions. Whitewash their responsibility for their decisions by pointing fingers elsewhere. Funny how the truth still remains the truth, though.

9. creamora

creamora Member

Most of The lily-white suburban sports journalists are either dumb or were enablers, which one is it? Both answers are pathetic. Seems like nobody wants to accept any of the blame for the problem. Let's see. It wasn't the owners. It wasn't the players union. Maybe it is entirely the players fault for creating this mess. What happened to the sports journalists, who were supossed to be protecting the integrity of the game and providing us with our "right to know?"

10. The Big Ragu

It doesn't matter. Dumb or enablers, they weren't the cheats. Plenty of blame to assign to the owners and the union. But unless you can make a credible argument that they put a player up to cheating, the responsibility for his actions ultimately resides with each player.

By the way, this thread is pretty funny on multiple levels. You just chastised the sports media for not reporting about performance-enhancing drugs quickly enough. Yet, you have devoted 100 posts to attacking Lance Williams and Mark Fainura-Wada for revealing the truth about performance-enhancing drugs with regard to Bonds and Balco. They "did their jobs" using your line of reasoning just now. Where's the pat on the back?

I guess the "attack the messengers" tactic doesn't really care much about consistency in the attacks, as long as you repeatedly attack the messengers to deflect attention from the message. You did it again just now. Made it all about the "sports journalists." Did a sports journalist invent THG (and other steroids) and HGH and force Barry Bonds to use them?

11. creamora

creamora Member

I attcked the two Chronicle reporters here for repeatedly providing misinformation and misreprersenting the facts in many instances in both their Chronicle articles and Game od Shadows book. I stand by eveything I have posted here about their reporting.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Do you honestly understand and believe all the bullshit you've posted here?

Barry cheated.
    We found out.
    He may very well keep that record, but no one will think he did it honestly.
    This is no one's fault but Barry's, and to place blame on anyone other than Barry for any of this is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted