1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams having heart issues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies of the last 15 years. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it was one of those movies that struck a nerve and I think I saw it 5-6 times in the theater.

It's been awhile since he had a good comedy. These days, he should stick to dramas.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe that was actually at the Metropolitan Opera House, but yeah, it was great.

3. Mizzougrad96

The Opera House one he did in the mid 1980s is one of the best comedy shows ever.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You're probably right. It probably threw me when he said the old Carnegie Hall joke and changed the punchline from "practice" to "money."

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Needs aortic valve replacement surgery:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/05/robin.williams/index.html

6. Castaway

Castaway New Member

Williams really is effective in dramatic roles, proving once again the old show business saying that a comedian can do drama but it's hard for a "serious" actor to be funny. I guess the greats can do anything, but guys like him and Carrey seem to prove the saying true.

I couldn't believe Williams could get the $250 to $300 a ticket he was asking for his Borgata shows. He was great in the '80s though.

At any rate, hope he's feeling better soon.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh boy ...

Here's to one of the truly great comedians, never mind terrific roles in "Good Morning, Vietnam," "Good Will Hunting," "Patch Adams" and some others. That intro he did for some silly music group on a special a couple of years back didn't hurt his stock, either - at least with this poster.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, same here. That movie hit way, way, way too close to home, and it never fails to move me, even a decade later.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Valve replacement is major surgery, sure, but not as scary as it used to be. My dad had two valves replaced 12 years ago (the day after the Packers-Broncos SB), when he was 57. He was back on the golf course by Memorial Day, and other than dealing with the bloodwork associated with a lifetime prescription for Coumadin, he's fine.

All the best to Mr. Williams, one of my favorite comedic actors.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I believe a pig's valve used often to reduce clotting, and keep the patient from having to be on a blood thinner such as Cumadin for the rest of his life.

11. Mizzougrad96

I hope he gets well soon.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And when he recovers, he has fodder for a whole new routine...

Draft saved Draft deleted