1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams having heart issues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am so glad I'm not the only one who hated GWH. Nor Williams' performance, but the whole thing.

And Dead Poets Society is in my top 10 list.

Good Morning, Vietnam! is a great movie with an amazing soundtrack. I might have to watch it today.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Get well soon, Adrian Cronauer.

It feels like a Good Morning Vietnam- Death to Smoochy doubleheader tonight.

3. ya gotta appreciate Mork's work in "Shakes the Clown"

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Micropayments....

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hate Good Will Hunting!?! WTF!?!? :p

Seriously, what the hell is there to hate about that flick? Absolutely solid, IMHO, and Williams was absolutely great in it.

Between the "Watch yourself, Chief!" and his response to an FU, "You're the shepherd" -- one of my favorite movie characters ever.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Thought One-Hour Photo was one of the greatest wastes of celluloid ever (typical manic comedian deciding that doing deep drama is done be going monotone and severely understated)... as was What Dreams May Come.

But, Mork's hits have been pretty damned good:

1. GMV (What's three up and three down mean to you!?! End of an inning?)
    2. Dead Poets
    3. Mrs. Doubtfire
    4. Good Will Hunting

Only comedian who has been better on the big screen is Steve Martin.

Jim Carrey is an awful, mugging putz when he isn't talking out of his ass or saying something when he doesn't want to.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And I'll echo what others have said, Williams' stand-up comedy annoys the crap out of me, but he's a fabulously talented dramatic actor when he wants to be.

8. Simon_Cowbell

I've seen plenty of stand-up comics. There was no better set than the one Williams unloaded 22 years ago when I was a sophomore in college.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know...I went in there WANTING to be moved, but it just didn't happen. Much like "Garden State," I left feeling as if maybe I would have liked the movie more if I'd spent years in therapy and fueled by anti-depressants.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No, I'll agree with that. Williams was brilliant in 1987. It's just that he's been doing the same material since then.

11. His stand-up is annoying because it's the same routine it was 25 years ago. That said, he's been tremendous in the above-mentioned films and hopefully he'll pull through. No doubt, he's done some damage to himself over the years.

BTW, Dennis Miller is another guy still doing the same schtick in his stand-up as he was in 1990. Just a footnote...

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The performance he did at Carnegie for HBO back then is one of the best comedy concerts ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted