1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams having heart issues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I know this is early info, but earlier today, CNN was saying just rest for a week, this sounds like either they were wrong or it's gotten worse as the day went.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/933065.html

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just watched "The World According to Garp" today. I really love some of the serious roles he tackled beginning in the early '80s. Garp and Moscow on the Hudson are two of my favorites. And his role as Dr. Sayer in Awakenings (1990) was great, too.

For a guy who made his name as a maniacally crazy comedian, his ability to do serious also was amazing.

I may have to pop in my DVD of Moscow on the Hudson this week.

Get well, sir.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just saw Dead Poets Society again last week. Man, did he ever nail that role. A very good case could be made that he did not win his Oscar for his best dramatic role (of course, I hated Good Will Hunting, so I'm biased).

I know he's got some skeletons in his closet from the '80s, but he has also seemed to be a very nice, decent guy the few times I've seen him at major sporting events. Unlike, oh, say, I don't know, Billy Crystal. Hopefully he gets well soon.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Couldn't agree with you more. I watched Patch Adams a few nights ago, too. While the movie is mostly based on humor, he could do well with any role given to him - serious or not.

How old is Williams nowadays?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to watch One Hour Photo.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Want to see stupidity at its highest? Read some of the comments pending review.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Sometimes I think the comments dropped on newspaper/news outlet stories are one big 4chan prank, because it doesn't seem possible for someone to think in such mean-spirited ways.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As good a dramatic actor as he is a comedian, perhaps better. Moscow on the Hudson was excellent ("Gives you the dick of death!). Garp was a bit weird for me. Good Morning Vietnam was perhaps his most nuanced role. Awakenings, One-Hour Photo, What Dreams May Come and that one in Alaska where he's Pacino's nemesis are also unsung efforts. Carrey has Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine...a bit of a drama resume, but not nearly as deep.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Carrey also is not 1/1,000th as funny as Williams.

My favorite comedian and a lot better actor than he ever has been given credit for.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

One Hour Photo is great. One of his best roles, ever.

But none top Dead Poets Society.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I really hope it all turns out okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted