1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Roberts ... yep, she's gay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Certainly not a surprise, but I guess it's news:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/robin-roberts-reveals-gay-note-gma-fans-article-1.1560929

(I am kind of interested to see the reaction in my part of the world, which is Roberts' home. She's such a big deal down here that the local newspaper sent a reporter and photographer to her MOTHER's funeral).

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Well, she just blew her chance for a guest spot on Duck Dynasty.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody will say it, but the way ABC played up her health issues drove GMA past Today. Of course, it didn't hurt that Robin Roberts is universally adored in the industry and by viewers.
    People may have suspected, but don't think this isn't a big deal. Morning broadcast anchor on top rated morning show?
    It's really a credit to Roberts that nobody really thinks of her as a groundbreaking journalist despite having the longest run on a broadcast news show for a woman of color.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That is an outstanding picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

SO, Michelle Obama tweeted this to Roberts: I am so happy for you and Amber! You continue to make us all proud

Now, I'm sure Roberts is a nice person, and has battled her health issues bravely, but what about this announcement should make anyone proud?

She's been in a 10 year relationship with Amber, and had refused, until know to publicly acknowledge such. Even Aaron Rodger's boyfriend thinks that's too long to remain in the shadows.

And, let's be clear; certainly her friends and family already knew this. And, we're talking about a woman who lives in New York, and works in media. She's unlikely to face any backlash for this announcement from co-workers or neighbors. Her career won't be in any jeopardy.

If anything, her announcement will be celebrated.

And, yet she still refused to acknowledge her.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of think it's like the Julie Chen eyelid surgery thing. Is she brave because she admitted it? Foolish to have done it? Would she even had a platform (and married to the CBS chief) now if she hadn't done it? People make compromises all of the time to get ahead - worried they won't get their shot if they don't and then become brave when they feel secure enough about their position.
    If Roberts never brought her partner to parties or wasn't open to those she works with, I think maybe then you'd have reason to question the "proud" remark. Plus, you never now - her partner might not have wanted the public scrutiny.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Gay Pride!

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought this came out a few years ago? Publicly acknowledged and everything? Did I log on via a DeLorean or something?

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Check your flux capacitor, then oil your Fetzer valve. I recommend using gauze pads for that.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Peppermint Patty, you're on the clock

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought it was all ball bearings these days?

Draft saved Draft deleted