1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Roberts announcement on GMA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3430554

Robin has the strength and courage to beat this disease. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not to jack here, because this really is a sad story, but how much do strength and courage really help in this situation, with regard to whether you beat the cancer or die? Do you think it's pretty much a roll of the dice or does a cancer patient have some measure of control?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

godspeed, robin.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Know people who know her personally, so that is why I said what I did because I have been in touch with them.

5. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Not being a smartass, but it seems to me this question took some guts to ask. My dad had tons of strength, tons of courage -- and cancer kicked his ass in two months.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hopefully she will pull through this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Roberts_%28newscaster%29

Too often the good people make the news when something bad happens to them.

Too often the bad people make the news for doing something that just comes second nature to them.

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

While wishing Robin all the best, I agree with Duane and FDP. Lost my mother to breast cancer a year ago, and she had all the strength and courage in the world.

Sometimes all the strength, courage, will power, prayer and everything else just don't matter. It took about two years for my mother to lose her battle, and I wouldn't wish the experience of watching a loved one die from it on anyone.

Can't tell you how many people came to me and my family and said they knew my mother would beat it. The thoughts are appreciated, and people want to believe that. You can't fault them for it, but when it comes to this disease, things can change on a dime. Hopefully we will find a cure for this disease soon.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

My thoughts? A positive, proactive attitude beats the crap out of just sitting around waiting to die... but if the cancer is bad enough, sometimes it doesn't help, either. Sounds like Roberts' was caught at an early stage, though, which should give her a good shot at long-term survival.

Sorry about your dad.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

As the husband and the son of two breast cancer survivors, I can give (IMHO) a pretty emphatic answer to this question. YES. It makes all the difference in the world. It's still (9 years down the road) a pretty emotional subject for me, so I'll keep my answer short.

Cancer is an insidious bastard. But, if detected early and attacked (literally) in a straight forward fashion, it doesn't have to be a death sentence.

The strength and courage to face what's coming, as well as to put yourself through the physical and emotional toll of the treatment, make a huge difference. That, and a great support system.

God bless ya, Robin. Fight.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I echo Layman's thoughts. My sister is going through the same thing Ms. Roberts is going through and the main thing we worry about is the cancer spreading to the bones. So far, so good. She begins a second round of chemo Monday and all we can do is pray it comes out all right. I do believe prayer can work.

I applaud Robin's decision to go on air about it and I hope it works out for her.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Good luck to her.

12. Aww, goddammit to hell.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Draft saved Draft deleted