1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Quivers leaving Stern Show?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NoOneLikesUs, May 6, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You aren't missing anything. The show is a mere shell of its former self. Howard is actually really politically correct now...he shuts down most controversial talk before it even starts, and that was when the Stern Show was at its best, when people were going off about silly things and at each other's throats. Now the show is boring...nothing but Sal and Richard making fake phone calls, horrible interviews with the same B-list celebs and Howard talking about Beth's favorite charity. I had Sirius and, after three years of hoping things would get better, gave it up and cancelled. Revolution my ass. Go to the Stern Fan Network and see what people think of the show now.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah most days are a bore. I don't really give two shits about the bickering over Ronnie the Limo driver or if Scott the engineer bowls or if J.D. needs to clean his office. I enjoy the interviews with the absurd. Dave "Get the poison out" Lambert for one...Little Lupe was a treat too. Outside of that, can't think of much in the last few months although things seem to be a bit funnier when George Takei or David Arquette are in the studio.

I think Howard will regret signing on for another five years in short order.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I doubt he will, he's getting well-paid for his trouble.

Takei is the only one of the new additions that I find remotely funny. When I hear 'em, Sal/Richie annoy me to no end.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Howard made a fortune going to satellite but he lost his mojo. Nobody talks about the show, and since he has almost complete freedom, he can't have his big battles with management, which always seemed to energize him.

Instead of being the loathsome outsider, he's now invited to all the hot parties. He has a trophy wife and millions in the bank. He's no longer the misunderstood geek, getting even with everyone from behind the microphone.

Despite the shades and the heavy metal hair, he's 57 now. Not exactly a guy the 24-year-old guy can identify with.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the show has gone downhill since Artie left. I still think it's the best radio show out there, but that's not saying a ton these days. I still listen, but I find myself favoring Carolla's podcast a lot over Stern.

6. Mizzougrad96

He's definitely lost his edge. He's still the best interviewer out there and the show is still good because he's so good at it. I don't know if I would go as far as to say he's phoning it in, but the only people he really goes after these days are his own staff.

7. What kind of issues?
    You'd have to have issues to put up with and manufacture that dreck for 20-plus years.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I listened to Howard practically everyday for almost 30 years. Starting out my day without him seemed unthinkable. Then, earlier this year, I put my Sirius subscription on hold as an experiment and I have to say, I don't really miss the show very much. I got sick of Robin's cackling and her getting facts wrong when she did the news, I got tired of Sal (Richard, I don't mind so much) and I just didn't care about a lot of the other stuff they talked about. The show definitely needs another voice and I agree that it's gone downhill since Artie left. I'm sure I'd put up with all of it if I weren't paying for it, though. I don't take as many long car trips as I used to, so I don't miss the rest of my Sirius subscription much either. While not nearly as bad a terrestrial radio, the stations I listened to seemed to get much more programmed and the playlists weren't as deep.

It would be interesting to see what the show would be like without Robin. Howard is so neurotic and such a creature of habit and without Robin there, I wonder how he would do. That I might tune in for.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did I see that Benji replaced Artie? Talk about a bad trade.

10. Mizzougrad96

Nobody replaced Artie. Benjy is doing the same thing he's always done. He might be on the air more than he was before Artie left, but it's not even close to the level that Artie was.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

So he's turned into Imus, then?

12. Mizzougrad96

Not quite that bad, but there are definite parallels.

Draft saved Draft deleted