1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

robertson, christian coalition announce support for adulterer giuliani

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. And if Robertson endorsed Huckabee, I'm sure he'd get slogged, too.

I don't care much for Robertson, but I guess he's taking the same approach a lot of liberals did when they endorsed Clinton I: I don't agree with him on some key things, but he's better than the other party.

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Wow, Guliani got the endorsement of an out of touch religious fanatic that most of the American public despises. Way to go!

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I think Clinton I was endorsed because he had good economic ideas, but hey why give credit to a president who spent much of his tenure with a high 60s approval rating? Revisionist history is a lot more fun.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, there seems to be many who don't.

5. Dangerous_K

Yep, the 700 Club is still stinking up airwaves nationwide, so obviously Pat The Prick still has an audience.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Another assumption without facts. Nice job Lyman. Start a different thread if you want to gauge the hypothetical responses of people based on whom Robertson endorses. Otherwise, let's focus on what really happened.

Fundie freak (Robertson is a freak, make so mistake about it) endorses a man who is far from the family values standards he should be to get the nod, and people call it hypocrisy. What's a legit argument for that?

7. Dangerous_K

Guiliani is a Republican.

8. It's not an assumption without facts. Clinton I got support from a lot of left-wing Democratic constituencies that might not have supported him otherwise (because of NAFTA, the Sister Souljah incident, etc.). Because he was better than the alternative, and they thought he could win. That's not a criticism of Clinton.

Robertson is doing the same thing with Rudy. Evidently, Robertson thinks Rudy can win. So what if he doesn't agree with him on some key issues? He's better than anyone on the Democratic side, at least as far as Robertson is concerned.

If he's a hypocrite, then a lot of Dems were hypocrites for endorsing Clinton. That's not necessarily bad, that's just politics.

9. And those good economic ideas were what, exactly?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Robertson brandishes himself as a religious man first and foremost. Since the primaries aren't over yet, he didn't have to endorse anyone. So, by endorsing Rudy right now, he is basically calling the race over and not even will to help back and push forward a Republican that shares his values.

11. Because, evidently, he thinks Rudy is the only Republican who can win in November.

I'm sure the usual suspects would be hailing Robertson if he had endorsed Huckabee. Right?

12. The 1993 budget deal that "was going to send us into a recession" (Newtie) and jump-started an economic expansion. The EITC is another.
    I happen to be one of the people Lyman is (I think) talking about. However, and it's a big However, Rudy, whose campaign is solely about 9/11, has accepted the endorsement of a guy who is on the record before and after the event to the effect that Rudy and NYC -- and the rest of us -- HAD IT COMING. To me, that's a little bigger than the fact that I voted for a guy with whom I disagreed on the death penalty.

Draft saved Draft deleted