1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robert Kraft is being charged with soliciting another to commit prostitution.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 22, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tiger's involved only if the place has certificates for Perkins, right?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Those stories do seem to pop up around every major sporting event. The evidence on which they're based doesn't seem very solid, though, and includes a fair bit of hype and generous interpretations of data -- not that any of that would stop outlets from running headlines with sex in them, of course.

Opinion: Don’t be fooled by the idea that identifying sex trafficking victims is easy
    There's Actually No Evidence That the Super Bowl Is a Hotbed of Human Trafficking
    The Truth About the Biggest U.S. Sex Trafficking Story of the Year

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please. What is it about sex work that leads you to believe there is something superseding these women (and men, trans folks, NBs, etc.) exercising their bodily autonomy? It sounds like you're suggesting the main reason women go into sex work is because they're damaged in some way and wouldn't go into that line of work if not for said damage. Do you mean to say no woman would go into sex work because they might simply enjoy sex? Or they find it empowering? Or it might pay better than other work they can get? Or that they might simply prefer a literal fucking to the metaphorical fucking much of the rest of the working world gets at their "respectable" jobs?

The whole 'fallen women' narrative plays nicely with the societal belief that there are only so many proper ways to Be a Woman (TM), and it helps line the pockets of groups like Polaris and Fight the New Drug, but it disregards the experiences of those whose lives run counter to that narrative (preferring to talk about sex workers rather than to them) and perpetuates a culture that is both obsessed with, and terrified of, sex. No doubt there are people in the so-called 'rescue' industry who genuinely want to do good and help those who are suffering, but all the good intentions in the world don't change the fact that much of their movement relies on false narratives, distorted statistics, fear-mongering, and denying agency to those involved in sex work.

This isn't even a religious thing or a conservative vs liberal thing -- hell, every Democrat running for president who had the chance voted for FOSTA-SESTA despite evidence that it would make sex workers less safe and drive them into the arms of the very pimps the laws were intended to thwart. If we're going to have a substantive conversation about sex work in the US without falling back on our puritanical roots -- and it still is very much a puritanical country, despite the many proclamations of doom from your various and sundry Perkinses, Fallwells, and Santorums -- then we need to listen to sex workers and take their needs seriously, not just write them off as pitiful, damaged creatures who don't know what's good for them.

Frequently Told Lies
    On sex work and the concept of ‘rescue’
    Harry, here’s the truth about sex workers

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I sell drugs because I like drugs so much.

It’s an illegal and dangerous activity with many health risks and constant risks from your clients to hurt, maim or kill you.

There are easier ways to make a living.

I’m all for helping them, but saying that sex work is a good life choice I cannot accept.

Iron_chet likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not a good choice, not at all. But for many, it IS a choice.
    PS: At dinner last night, Alice asked me a good question. If it had been the owner of some other NFL team caught in this event, would it have led all three network news shows. Not Jerry Jones, he would have for sure, but like whichever billionaire happens to own like the Cardinals. I said yes, but today I'm not so sure. What do folks here think?

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He is an owner who put himself in the spotlight as much as possible.

Some do that. Some don’t.

I really don’t need an unfair to Boston take on this.

poindexter and Sea Bass like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Oh, I didn't mean that at all. It was strictly because he is so high profile. Would a lower profile owner be the same big news? Probably in their town, even on ESPN, but maybe not for national news.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Robert Kraft runs and owns Kraft Group, a Massachusetts holding company involved in paper and packaging products and his other sports and entertainment business interests.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with Kraft Foods.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s news for any if it is any of the owners but only Jerrah and Kraft get this type of front page national ink.

10. Michael_ Gee

I'd guess that if it was Snyder, Mara or whoever the hell owns the Jets now, it'd get the same treatment simply because of the preponderance of national news operations in New York and DC.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mr. Irsay got plenty of attention.

12. Michael_ Gee

Oh, it's a story if it's any NFL owner, a pretty big one. But not top of the front page lead of the network news big for all of them.

Sea Bass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted