1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robert Duvall western

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tonysoprano, Jun 26, 2006.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Anyone else like me watch and really enjoy this? Hell, Duvall + western is a stamp of approval for me. Agree, disagree?

Second question - I read in a story that Thomas Haden Church said Duvall was his idol as a young actor (of course the two are in this movie together). Brings up the question - If you got to learn from your sportswriting/and or just writing idol, who would it be? For me, it's a tie between Gary Smith and James Lee Burke (detective writer).

2. pallister

pallister Guest

What movie is it?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

P.J. O'Rourke. I'd laugh my ass off everyday.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Pall ...it's called "Broken Trail", it's on AMC. If you missed it, they're reshowing the first part tomorrow, then the final part after.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't have cable. Guess I'll see if I can pick up the DVD.

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Didn't see it, but Duvall was the truth in Open Range.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Agree with Duvall and Westerns, Duvall and Open Range.

For me, it would be Jim Murray and Dan Jenkins for my co-mentors.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Pt. 2 of this just began. FYI.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll take Duvall in Lonesome Dove. Good movie, great book.

10. House

House Guest

We need more quality Western movies.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Hell yes! I'm sure some may violently disagree with whether it kicked ass or sucked, but I remember when my bro. and I went to see "Tombstone" twice in the theater, it was packed.

12. First time I saw Open Range, I wasn't thrilled about it. I thought it was too slow.
    I have the same complaint about Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven - though I also like that movie.
    Watched Open Range twice this weekend and found a new appreciation for it.

Loved Tombstone from the start. Saw it in the theatre and thought it was great! I still wish Ike Clanton had gotten his though.

Read a book written by Wyatt Earp's girl (the actress played by Dana Delany) written after Earp's death. She recounts Wyatt running into Johnny Behan a years later on a San Francisco street and knocking him out cold. She said he walked in the door that night grinning from ear to ear.

Draft saved Draft deleted