1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbie Alomar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hate these double standards.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i'll be curious to see the media and public reaction to this.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

In the article it said his dad was unaware that he had aids so really we shouldn't be blown away that we hadn't heard either. That is if he has AIDS. At this point it really is just speculation and in the grand scheme of things, none of our business.
    That being said if he had a been diagnosed with AIDS going back to the early 2000s, I'm sure someone at some point would notice, like say a team physician during a physical? or at least someone would notice the large cache of prescription drugs he was taking with him.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If he DOESN'T have AIDS, all he will need is a test to get this suit tossed, right?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Three pages and no Brady Anderson comments? Wow, people are taking the high road on this one.

Who was the tennis player Alomar was linked to during his career?

I dealt with Alomar a few times and always found him to be pleasant to deal with. I wish him nothing but the best.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

DocTalk can weigh in with a real answer and correct me if need be. But it has always been my understanding that:
    *If you are HIV positive, you are carrying the virus that turns into (for lack of a better term) AIDS. You can go years and years with no ill effects, through therapy or luck or whatever.
    *If you have AIDS, you can start the clock. Like cancer, I'm not sure there's any definitive timeframe. Some go quickly. Some go slowly. It is a terrible disease and not a pretty one. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Greg Lougainis is another one - I remember talking to him at the Atlanta Olympics. I believe he was HIV positive, had not developed full-blown AIDS? Help me out on that one someone.

I had very limited dealings with Alomar, like BYH said he wouldn't know me for shit and had no reason to be cooperative. But he was, at least for the few minutes I needed.

But, hell, I heard stories about this dude way down here. I didn't put much stock in them but, based on what I heard, this doesn't surprise me too much.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. This is so sad.

Best player in Blue Jays history.

8. If he does have AIDS or HIV - I know the first impulse to to leap to the idea that he got that through unprotected sex but remember that it can also be transmitted through needle exchange. Given the prevalence of steroid use during Alomar's playing career - isn't this an obvious avenue of questioning?

I think Alomar was a Hall of Fame player but if this turns out to be true - I can see this possibly killing his chances of being elected.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Why?

Had ZERO to do with what he took to the diamond every day.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sad story all around.. can't find anything that says definitively that Louganis has AIDs.. but I'm pretty sure that even if you've progressed to AIDs, that, if you got on the cocktail early enough, your viral load can be extremely low. I think the key is early diagnosis. If you'd had HIV for a long time and it progresses, I think that's the worst scenario.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I know a guy who worked for the Jays when Alomar played here and one day he showed me the route he would take to get women up to Alomar's room at the SkyDome hotel. But you're right, the gay rumours were floating around when he played in Toronto too.

As JR said, best player in Jays' history. Went to a lot of games when he played here, might be the best player I ever saw live. Man, he could do it all.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd always heard that the reason Alomar declined so fast after the 2001 season was that he got off amphetamines after coming to New York. Steve Phillips has even implied it several times on "Baseball Tonight" without naming Alomar ...

Draft saved Draft deleted