1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbie Alomar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what the legal protection is. Everything changed during the William Kennedy Smith trial.
    But isn't it morally wrong to tell the world somebody was raped?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I really hate to speculate, because there will be enough of that going on soon, but I'm not so sure the timeline should begin in 2001 anyway. The lawsuit mentions 2005-06 and, if the reports about his health deteriorating in the last three years is true, your first question in that post may not be so far-fetched.

That said, gingerbread's point is well-taken: the key word, of course, being "well-funded." Which Alomar likely is.

Very, very interested to see what Alomar's looking like these days. The old saying "one picture is worth a thousand words" might be quite appropriate right about now.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Magic does not have AIDS. Nor does Jack the designer on Project Runway.
    Both are HIV positive and are fortunate enough to be able to afford the drug therapy that has kept them from developing AIDS.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Jack described himself as having AIDS. Sooooooo sorry.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

All other things held equal, yes.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

According to his partner, Freddie Mercury was diagnosed with AIDS in the spring of 1987.

He died in the fall of 1991 -- oddly enough, just one day after revealing his illness to the world -- so that's about four years. Then again, not every case is alike.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a regular Project Runway watcher, but I believe I read that he described himself as "having the AIDS virus" i.e., HIV.

8. I'm an Alomar fan from way back.

What kind of surprised me is that he had an ex-girlfriend. The gay rumors have followed him for quite a while. Nearly every article I read about him while he was still playing seemed to hint at it. Even that SI article about him living in the hotel from a decade ago.

Disclaimer: I'm not implying that he got HIV/AIDS because he may or may not be gay.

I just bring it up because the guy rumors have been following him for a long time.

9. Simon_Cowbell

If it is "full-blown AIDS," he's a short-timer, no matter how much money he has.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most newspapers don't publish female rape victims' names without permission. The policy should be the same if the victim is male.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, I probably asked this question in November 1991, too.

But how much worse is AIDS than HIV, really? And would it be that much worse for the so-called "well-funded" patients, too? I guess I've been under the impression that AIDS is a death sentence, and HIV ... usually is. But Magic Johnson seems to be doing OK after nearly two decades with HIV, so maybe the usual prognosis goes out of the window for those who can afford the best treatment. I just don't know.

12. Simon_Cowbell

I believe that is a moral policy.... not a legality.

Draft saved Draft deleted