1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Only thing I like about the Dodgers, beside Nomar on my fantasy team:
    Them letting JD Drew opt out of his contract and sign an insane deal with the Red Sox. You want to talk about robbing someone, that is robbing someone. Atta boy JD.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

This paranoia sucks. I keep walking outside to make sure my car is still there. I have class at 7:30, I need to sleep but I can't.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You only have to PAY the deductible if you're replacing the items. You'll show the claims adjuster the police report and a list of what was stolen, along with its cost, and they'll cut you a check for the amount lost, minus $500.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so not to sound like the preachy annoying mom but hopefully a few people back up any important data on their laptops after reading this thread. i have one of these standalone hard drives i plug my laptop into every week or so. of course it's occurred to me that someone could break into my house and steal both the laptop and the standalone drive but you can only take these precautions so far. i know they have online storage but that seems excessive unless maybe you have your own business or something.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've never had anything like this happen to me, but two of my siblings have been robbed. It had more to do with their locations than bad luck. My sister went to college at Fordham and was robbed at gunpoint twice on the way back to campus after nights out drinking. My brother and sis-in-law have had their cars broken into on numerous occasions, it's not really a surprise, though, considering they live in Baltimore.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Only the last three thefts I mentioned have happened during the five or six years I've been around this board or its previous incarnations.

ELAINE: (from the bathroom) JERRY! (Elaine enters the living-room.) Jerry, oh, hi, welcome back. How were the shows?

JERRY: Great, I had fun. Where’s the TV, where’s the VCR?

(Elaine has a guilty look on her face.)

JERRY: What?

ELAINE: They were stolen.

JERRY: Stolen? When?

ELAINE: A couple a hours ago. The police are coming right over.

JERRY: Stolen?

(Kramer enters the apartment.)

ELAINE: (looking at Kramer) Someone left the door open.

(Elaine enters the bathroom.)

JERRY: (to Kramer) You left the door open?!

KRAMER: Uh, Jer, well you know, I was cookin’ and I, I uh, I came in to get this spatula...and I left the door open, ‘cause I was gonna bring the spatula right back!

JERRY: Wait, you left the lock open or the door open?

KRAMER: (guiltily) The door.

JERRY: The door? You left the door open?

KRAMER: Yeah, well, I was gonna bring the spatula right back.

JERRY: Yeah, and?

KRAMER: Well, I got caught up... watching a soap opera. “The Bold And The Beautiful”.

JERRY: So the door was wide open?

KRAMER: Wide open!

(Elaine enters the living room.)

JERRY: (to Elaine) And where were you?

ELAINE: I was at Bloomingdale’s... waiting for the shower to heat up.

KRAMER: Look, Jerry, I’m sorry, I’m uh- you have insurance, right buddy?

JERRY: No.

KRAMER: (shocked) How can you not have insurance?

JERRY: Because I spent my money on the Clapgo D-29. It’s the most impenetrable lock on the market today. It has only one design flaw. The door... (Jerry pushes the door shut.) ...MUST BE CLOSED!!

8. CradleRobber

I'm starting to have SERIOUS doubts about the safety and security of this complex. I learned this morning that exactly four weeks ago from the night of my robbery, a resident was robbed in front of their apartment by three armed men in the middle of the night.

I thought it was the best place I could be. Now I'm glad my six-month lease is halfway done.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I nicer neighborhoods, thieves tend to steal stuff from cars rather than bother with houses. You leave a wallet, laptop, whatever in your car and you are asking for it.

I actually had a used 8-track player stolen from my Chevy Nova once. This was about the time 8-tracks were almost completely phased out. The Nova cost $200. The 8-track about $20.

Couldn't believe it. Of course, it may have been my girlfriend who was just embarrassed that it was in the car.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My wife has had her car broken into twice. Both smash and grabs. First time was at work. She was working for DFCS, and their office is right next to a building where a substance abuse rehab program is. Knocked her window out and yanked out her stereo. The other time was in our driveway. They grabbed her purse, left the $300 worth of CDs. Got me thinking about buying a gun, a video surveillance system, a rottweiler.

On the flipside of karma, I went to a major college football game last fall and left one of the windows down on my truck. Six hours later I get back to it, and it had apparently not been touched. I couldn't believe it.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You gonna give the gun to the dog and make him sleep in the car?

12. CradleRobber

The insurance company subcontracts these kinds of burglaries to a company that specialized in car audio claims for a bunch of agencies.

Here's how I thought it would work: they'd estimate the value (around $900 or $1000) and cut me a check for that amount minus the $500 deductible. I figured I'd use that $400 or $500 check to buy an alarm and replace the head unit, and just be out the sub and amp but no cash from my pocket.

Wrong. It makes sense, because this also prevents fraud somewhat, but the company is replacing the deck with the exact model stolen and same for the sub and amp. The company also includes a voucher for free installation at a business of my choice (the business bills them). They subtract the ammount for the custom enclosure (estimated at $150) from my deductible, and I have to pay them $344.85 before they ship any of the replacement stuff to me. Meaning I spend $350 out of pocket, and then I have all the stuff back in the same car and same position to get burglarized again. So it's another $299 for the alarm and $150 for a new enclosure.

Bottom line, I end up paying $800, get all my shit replaced with the addition of a nice alarm. Not what I expected and kinda shitty, but fortunately my parents are covering the deductible since they feel bad for it being so steep in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted