1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I lost about $300 in video games and DVDs a few years ago. They didn't touch my books or anything else. These people are always going to take what they can transport quickly and sell immediately.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Car broken into in Philadelphia. Thieves stole a broken radio, a box of Gratefill Dead bootlegs and two bags of dirty laundry. Replacing window more expensive than the value of anything taken.

Mugged at ATM in Philadelphia. Bank account was empty and had receipt to show mugger.

Car broken into in Denny's parking lot in NJ. Radio and speakers stolen. Door unlocked, luckily, because cost of window would have been more than value of broken radio and cheap speakers.

Mugged at ATM in AC. Mugger got $125. That's all I had.

Truck broken into in alley behind my house in California. Truck was unlocked. Thief took my favorite herring-bone sports jacket and a pair of black wing-tips. One of the soles on the shoes was broken and needed a cobbler.

Also, recently, bike stolen from my backyard and license plate stolen off my truck.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I don't live with them, and the community isn't really exclusive. It's expensive, and, I thought it was the safest place I could find.

They won't help with the deductable (which I found out is exactly $500) because I'm still paying them back the last $150 I owe them for the car itself, and they're far from rich.

I'm just dreading the insurance work because I have no idea what to expect. Nobody in my family has ever filed a claim.

And FirstDown, I'm pretty sure they were taking a good guess. The deck looks as expensive as it is, and the control for the amplifier's bass boost was mounted in the panel under the deck. They didn't break any windows, just used a slimjim.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shit, Buck, you have had some seriously bad luck through the years.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Not to joke around too much, because nothing pisses me off more than people who steal. But that's why I don't put serious money into car electronics. I'm content with having my Discman or IPod connected through my cassette deck. I've stupidly left my car unlocked downtown (I'm still not used to not having automatic locks) more than a few times in the past month, and no one's laid a finger on my car. Extraordinarlily lucky? Sure. But I don't have anything of value in there. And if someone wants to jack my car, they'd probably be doing me a favor.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's probably karma stinging me for a less than angelic youth.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe it's karma stinging you for all of the Seinfeld posts on cartoon threads.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It sucks, because I've had stuff stolen (though not yet from my car), and I know friends who have had their places broken into.

But this made me laugh. Mainly because I had thought about posting it, but decided that was too mean to do this young Dodger fan in his time of crisis.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You should be commended because you didn't post anything about the Dodgers sucking more than ARod in recent postseason memory.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Time of crisis is right. Fuck.

Just finished the police report to get the insurance ball rolling, but I'm afraid if I go to sleep, I'll miss the theft of my car tonight.

:-\

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Good luck, youngster. With any luck, the "World According to Garp" theory of your car now being "pre-disastered" will apply.

And Angola! . . . that's just mean. This Dodger fan says so.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As a Yankees and ARod fan, I say it is never mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted