1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robbed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jan 30, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Last night, while I was sitting at the computer not 20 yards away, my car was broken into in my carport. It had to have been more than one thief because not only did they take my $500 head unit, but also stole my four-foot wide, 90-pound custom-built enclosure with the subwoofer in it and amplifier attached. Total loss is more than $1500, not to mention the personal attachment I had with my system after saving up all my sportswriting earnings from ages 14 and 15 to buy the stuff.

Living in a gated community, one of the most expensive ones in the city, is a false security. The gate stays open for a minute every time it is opened, and so it doesn't really keep anyone out who doesn't want in.

I'm sitting at work now, having a shitty day and trying to channel all my emotions into something positive before I go cover basketball tonight. Feeling violated is the worst part. They left wires hanging out of the trunk.

I'm really rattled and can't focus. Anybody else ever had their vehicle robbed or know anything about the insurance paperwork that will be involved? Any suggestions on how to calm down?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Happened to me once while writting a gamer at the office.

File it on your insurance and drive on, brother. Don't sweat it. People suck.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Friend of mine got robbed once. Lost a bunch of really nice stuff.
    Got a thank you note from the thieves. They wanted him to know they were putting his stuff to good use.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

At least they were polite.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My duplex was broken into during college. They took the TV and VCR from the living room. Neither one worked. Landlord felt guilty and bought us a new TV. I didn't feel guilty enough to tell him our TV didn't work in the first place.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just be glad it was only music stolen, not your laptop.

I live in abject fear of having that stolen.

7. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Good point. Scary thing is, the place felt so safe there were many nights I left my iBook, iPod and wallet in my car for a few hours.

It's going to take a long time to replace all this shit, because the deductible is $500. I'm also going to get an alarm before I replace the system.

8. Well, it is a very nice laptop. I'm about to acquire one just like it.

9. Maybe your ex stole it for meth money.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

In the span of about three years (and in two different cities), I had my car broken into three times. CD player was stolen each time, driver's side window was busted each time. And I've never lived in a bad neighborhood.

It always freaked me out, but what can you do other than call the cops and call your insurance folks?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shoot, his exes would have a hard time fitting that stuff in the basket of her 10-speed.

12. I was robbed at gunpoint in college.

Stumbing home from the bars one night, and my friend and I walked past a guy who had his back to us as he appeared to be chaining his bike up next to the sidewalk. Thought nothing of it until he came up behind us with his pistol pointed at the back of my head.

Needless to say, I quickly complied with his "Gimme your money" statement, and the entire incident couldn't have taken more than 20 seconds. I lost $120 that night, but probably well worth it in exchange for an injury-free mugging.

Draft saved Draft deleted