1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker to Cold Pizza?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 18, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've never read the guy so I have no comment on his stuff or his personality. I caught his act on Cold Pizza one day last week and, well, compared to Skip Bayless ANYONE they can put on there is a breathe of fresh air, so he didn't bother me.

All of that being said, consider the lunacy in this quote from Boots post above:

"If Rob were so bad, he wouldn't be pulling down a steady paycheck?"

Are you really trying to say that the fact that a guy is employed in this business is evidence enough that he is (a) good (b) talented and or (c) hard working?

Give me a break, I can come up with countless examples of people in this business getting paid and nicely who are terrible.

2. boots

boots New Member

Rob has worked really hard. In some ways, and I've told him this, he may have spread himself too thin. As far as race is concerned, there's no doubt he gets a harder kick because he's black but I wasn't trying to bring race into the picture.
    He's just not as bad as many people make him out to be.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As a person, he's a nice guy. As a writer, he's scrambling to reach Pickle Juice's level.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Parker is very well-edited. No doubt about that.

5. ned racine

ned racine Member

boots..he is one of the best guys in the biz..funny..always talks to people..mentors young kids...and he is a great guy to all races....BUT....he is the worst writer I have ever read at a major market paper...granted the DetNews is not winning any ASPE awards for their section,but put away the he is a nice guy bias like i have......he blows as a writer...he is a great human being which is more important..

6. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

Parker has choppy flow and usually has nothing new to offer on any given topic. That's not to mention his "Clubhouse Confidential" column he used to write every week where he would cite anonymous sources and, from what I can tell, basically just make shit up.

So, what is he good at?

Draft saved Draft deleted