1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker to Cold Pizza?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 18, 2007.

1. vin1284

vin1284 New Member

Detroit News Columnist

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A Detroit News columnist. Left New York for the News, stayed there for a while then went back to Newsday, which jettisoned him after a few months. He went back to the News, thereby improving the quality of both papers.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Anyone have a good place I can go read some of this, um, greatest hits?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sure. Why?

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I'm bored and I can't sleep.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've never heard of Rob Parker until this very thread.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I watched this morning for a bit.
    I listened to them debate concussions in sports. Twenty seconds into Wahb, I'd had enough

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Parker is a tough case study because he's a real nice guy as other have mentioned and I'm always appreciative of ESPN's attempt to bring diversity to the 6a-2p block of ESPN2 programming.

But damn, why not bring in Chris Broussard, the network's already cutting him a check. He's smart, he sounds good on TV, he knows his shit, he lives in town....<s>hell the program MIGHT have a chance of surviving past the summer</s> it would at least guarantee the show's run will end with some decent debate.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And I feel fine. ;)

Never watched an entire episode of CP; never watched more than about 30 seconds at one time, in fact.

Is Kit still wild and unpredictable?? :eek:

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a certain kind of twisted civic pride which forces locals to insist their traffic, schools, crime, etc., etc. is the worst in the USA and in all of recorded history. I think that idea has a lot to do with Parker's rep.
    I agree Rob's a super fellow. But at the risk of endless ridicule, I must also say that whenever I've been in Detroit and read his stuff, it just isn't as bad as his Michigan detractors say. During the time I've read Rob, I wouldn't say I read anything memorably wonderful. I didn't read anything memorably lousy, either.
    Whenever a big event brought the national media to Boston, I thought that was an acceptable outcome involving my own work. Of course I hoped I did great work. But I really wanted not to suck.

11. LemMan

LemMan Member

Never a huge fan of his work, but I will say this...He wrote a column in Newsday that pissed me off, so I wrote him a letter telling him so.

He wrote me back within a week. I didn't agree with 90 percent of what he wrote while he was there, but I'll always respect him for writing me back - especially since I was just some in high school.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Parker might be a wonderful human being, but his columns frequently read like they were written on the back of a napkin at the airport. How many times can a guy write a variation of "The Lions are Really Bad" for his Monday postgame column? There are other ways than the most obvious to approach the subject, but he never seems to find them.

Draft saved Draft deleted