1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker: "Shame on Aaron for not being supportive of Bonds"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Absolutely.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Norm Cash has politely declined comment since his death on Oct. 12, 1986.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Now THERE is a column lead.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

We'll have to check with Spock for verification on this. Not sure if he 'beats out' Shkkld DigglerDirk of Rhonus IV and K'nia K'arlod of Spirus. But I'm sure he's right there. :)

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That's an interesting point. I just finished reading Brad Snyder's Curt Flood book (tremendous, BTW), and Aaron was one of the many high-profile black players who wouldn't have anything to do with Flood's fight back in the day. Neither would Willie Mays, or Moddy's favorite, Frank Robinson. They just steered as clear as they could, not only of that, but of things like the conditions for black minor-leaguers in the Jim Crow South of the 1950s (all of them lived it) and separate living conditions for blacks during spring training - long after Jackie Robinson broke the colour barrier in the majors. Like a decade after.

Jackie R once wrote Frank R a letter, back in May of '70, basically accusing him of being a sellout, of being more fixated on becoming the first black manager than doing what is right. Ironic that he also would be front and center at the Robinson tribute.

So I guess dignity has a lot of disguises, including silence. Although, to be fair, it's unfair to judge one man's reaction and commitment against another's when none of us has walked even a block in their shoes.

At least Frank R has been honest about Sosa, Bonds et al passing him on the all-time list, more or less. He hates it, but only because it drops him down on the list. There were plenty more endor$ement when he was No. 4.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet amazingly accurate

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree that Frank Robinson has been honest. Do you really believe, though, that his big objection to the players that used PEDs is that his endorsement money is taking a hit? I have no idea what Robinson earns off his name, but my guess is that it is mostly on the memorabilia market, not in endorsement deals (who really knows or thinks about Frank Robinson today? What does he endorse?), and my other guess is that his income is pretty much set from just being Frank Robinson, not from his being number four on the list. Unless you are number one on the list, I doubt it makes a big difference for a former player most fans today know little about. Robinson may even be more known to some fans today for being the first black manager, not for his playing career.

I guess where I fall on this is that guys like Robinson and Aaron automatically have the high road in my eyes. They didn't do anything wrong, so they have nothing to apologize for. There isn't any right or wrong way for them to express how they feel. It's fair for Robinson to be outspoken and it's fair for Aaron to pointedly not be there when Bonds passes him. Aaron and Robinson's achievements were achieved fairly. It was their natural talent relative to the guys they played with, that made them accomplish more than anyone else. Bonds' achievements have a cloud hanging over them. He's a great baseball player. But how much of what he accomplished was the result of artificial means and willingness to make his own set of rules? It's the latter that is troubling to me. Its cornball, but it's unfair to the guys who tried to do it within the rules, to reward the guy who cheats and decides the rules don't apply to him. I personally can't respect someone like that.

9. God above.
    This is going to be the weirdest month in the history of baseball.
    But I did see Goody Proctor talking with the devil.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, you just offered something constructive, FB. Sort of. The Salem Witch Trials don't seem apropos to me. But I could live with it if Bonds wore a scarlet asterisk on his chest.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've never walked a mile in Hank Aaron's shoes.

But I've never walked a mile in Barry Bonds' shoes, either.

All I know is this. Sometime next month or the month after, we will have someone who has made good enough contact on 756 major-league pitches to get them out of the ballpark.

If a robot did it ... it would have been a pretty damn well-designed robot.

12. I don't know why this subject is up for debate. Most columns I can read and at least say, "I can see his point." But not this one. This is just some guy trying to get read. Who the fuck is he to call Aaron a coward? Fuck him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.