1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker: "Shame on Aaron for not being supportive of Bonds"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How can I get at that motherfucker?

Hank Aaron is the very opposite of a coward.

Like Katie Holmes tits to the Holocaust.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I get the Detroit peg here, but couldn't he have talked to someone with more credibility than Gary Sheffield? (Willie Horton? Norm Cash? Al Kaline? Dennis Rodman?) Of course Sheffield's going to defend Bonds. HE GOT HIS STEROIDS FROM HIM! And this bit about Bonds not being proved guilty ... poppycock. The FBI found a mountain of evidence against him. Anyone who cites the lack of proof (that means you, Mr. Leyland) simply has his head in the sand.

The stand being taken by Aaron is even more significant when you consider that five or six years ago, before all the steroids stuff kicked in high gear, he was quoted multiple times by multiple news organizations saying he was ready for someone else to have that record. He wants to wash his hands of it now, and who could blame him?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So your criticism is that he isn't publicly acting bitter toward Bonds by pointing a finger and shitting on the guy? But yet you characterize him as being bitter toward Mays, even though if it is true, his actions haven't ever demonstrated it publicly. What exactly does he have to do to escape your criticism? If he got on a soapbox and blasted Bonds my guess from that post is that you'd weigh in calling him a bitter old bastard. Seems to me, the guy can't win with someone like you. If he stays quiet, and let's his actions speak, you ascribe bitterness to him and actually criticize him for not acting even more bitter. Doesn't make sense to me.

4. m2spts

m2spts Member

Who is Rod Parker?

5. He's Mizzougrad's favoritest columnist in the whole wide world. =D

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

7. ned racine

ned racine Member

rob is one of the best guys in the world and one of the worst columnists in the universe...
    and about me saying aaron is bitter towards mays..you are right i have no proof...just a guess.....and no i would not blast him for stating his feelings....i would respect him,,,its much better than saying "i am too old to fly around "and then jet out to LA for a cause he supports

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I can't speak to this, but it wouldn't surprise me

This I agree with, as he always comes with his Detroit fanboy, 'tough guy' approach. It gets old.

Heard him on the radio one time filling in for Dan Patrick, I think (maybe it was a night show on ESPN Radio). Not so good, IMO. His voice was good, though. Good strong voice.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Awful lot of crappy judges of character in this world.

10. I'm staying out of the general argument, but Aaron IS a very prickly, angry man.
    (Mays is pretty much a dick, too.)

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I recently saw a letter he personally sent in 1974 to a white fan who had mailed him with encouragement. I wish I could figure a way to use my scanner to show it to you.

If I ever do, I'll try to remember this thread title.

Anyway.....

You will never, and I mean never (Chelcie Ross as Dan Devine inflection) be able to convince me that Hank isn't the very antipodes of Barry Bonds.

12. In every sense, you're probably right. But he is prickly and angry. The difference is that Aaron has a right to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.