1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker: "Shame on Aaron for not being supportive of Bonds"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070420/SPORTS08/704200362/1343&template=printart

The column begins: "Hank Aaron is a coward."

Discuss

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Shame on the News for hiring Parker.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Attacking Hank Aaron -- that's a different take. Gotta give him that.

I guess Parker doesn't understand that Aaron is taking the high road in this.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not as bad as columns about what Aaron said that Selig said that Bonds said even though Bonds says he never spoke with Selig...but yeah, the use of the word coward is just shit-stirring hyperbolic crap, even if you disagree with Aaron's stance on this.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Rob Parker doesn't have a clue.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Aaron strikes me as a man who would like to spend his golden years in peace, not at the center of some controversy, which is understandable. I think that's why he doesn't want to go near Bonds. He just doesn't need that hassle.

And considering the fact that he took the field every day despite the death threats and hate mail he received as he approached Ruth's record, I'd say the last thing Aaron could be accused of is a lack of courage. Parker ought to be slapped for calling the man a coward.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Hank Aaron dosn't owe anybody anything.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What that column is obtusely missing, is that Aaron is making a statement. And he's doing it the best way possible, with his actions, not by getting mixed up in a tangled mess of morality he shouldn't have to get mixed up in.

Aaron was at Dodger Stadium last week for the honoring of Jackie Robinson. He's made it clear he won't be anywhere near Bonds when he breaks the record. I think his actions speak loudly. You don't have to be a shit-stirrer, or shout out your thoughts with a megaphone in order to make a point. Aaron not only is making his point very clearly, he's doing it in a way that doesn't make him roll in the mud with the Barry Bonds' of the world. He's doing it in a way in which his actions speak for him, and as a result he comes off as dignified, same as he always has.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just so.

12. ned racine

ned racine Member

why not just say. i think he used steroids..but i have no proof..and thats why i m not going to be there.........dont underestimate aarons jealousy of the bonds-mays relationship...aaron has always been bitter that most people think Mays was the better player.......rob is off the mark most of the time,but i agree with him this time...
    and hey..maybe parker is jealous that Whitlock gets all that pub...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.