1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker controversy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Moron knows no color...

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It doesn't make a difference that Rob Parker is an African American. The point is that he made a crude joke.
    There is no cause to mock African Americans or any other race on these threads. Grow up. There's nothing funny about it.

3. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Question: Had he just cracked a joke in the column about how Marinelli probably wishes his daughter had married a more talented D-coordinator, would this have still been a big deal?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably, because he would have looked gutless and stupid for the shot at his daughter, instead of just stupid.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes because his daughter is not a public figure for starters. Secondly, if Rob had done this in a private settting he stood an excellent chance of getting punched out.
    He was wrong. There's no other way of getting around it.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's just a stupid statement. You think a coach is actually going to punch out a writer because of this? Especially one as weasly as Parker, who'd run back and tattle to his 12 readers? Nothing has ever indicated Marinelli would do anything but take the high ground in anything like this.

Lead.... mahogany....

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Two thoughts.
    Shot you were wrong and you know it. The damage has already been done.
    Slappy, there's nothing stupid about the statement. You say something about my family to my face, then you'd better be prepared to face the consequences. Coaches and writers have fought over less trival things than this.
    I commend Marinelli for the actions that he has taken.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, you just described the biggest difference between you and others here.
    An adult would know enough to walk away from a volatile situation. A man knows enough not to be goaded into a fight when a petty little ding-dong tries to provoke him.
    You suggested that if Parker said it in private, he'd expect to get his ass kicked. Yet, Marinelli hasn't shown that classlessness that Parker has.
    There's only one person I've seen do the kind of backpedalling Parker has... of course, that person's long gone...

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I didn't suggest anything. Read the post. If Rob had done his bit in private or in a bar or some place other than a press conference, he should expect to get his ass kicked. Hell, I know many athletes he wouldn't have tried that stunt with.
    The point was, he thought it was funny. It wasn't. It was wrong. Do you know Rob personally? You have been swinging mighty hard at him as if you do.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who I know or don't know and how well I know or don't know them is not the issue and don't try to change that.
    Parker screwed up. Again. Last time, it was accusing some kid of assault and dismissed it with a flip "I'm sorry."
    This time he insulted a coach's family and dismissed it with the kind of backpedalling rarely seen outside a Russian bear on a unicycle.
    next time, who knows if his malicious sloppiness/laziness -- regardless of how its intended -- will cause more trouble.
    Your sticking up for Rob, the person, is admirable. Your sticking up for Rob, the writer, is misguided. Parker isn't going to be more diligent, isn't going to be any less sloppy because of this. It's an offense that most of us would have been fired for; our free passes gone a long time ago.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well, Slappy, I am going to assume that you don't know him.
    Also, you haven't been reading the posts as usual. If you did, you would have noticed that several times I have said Rob was wrong in what he did. I am speaking that way as a professional.
    As a friend, I told him that he was wrong. I also told him as a friend, that I will support him because he is going to be my friend whether he's a journalist or not.
    That is about as straight as it gets. Hopefully, you will stop saying that my sticking up for Rob the writer. I never said that he was correct in what he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.