1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Lowe reports Peyton Manning will retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Patrick Swayze is mysteriously silent on this matter as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Has Lowe tweeted that Eli is going to the Super Bowl yet?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Obviously, I love me some Peyton but that article made me laugh...at the top, and bottom.

The grafs in between show clear as day that Peyton's played his last game with a horseshoe on his helmet. I'm still not convinced he'll ever play another down, but if he does, I bet NY Jets fans will be very, very happy.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, nothing gold can stay, you know.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He seems like a man who has had a long time to think about his options. Which he has. He sounds like he's at peace with whatever happens -- he can't play because of his neck, he moves on, or he hangs around with Andrew Luck. It's amazing the stability that Manning and the Colts have had that this is the first time he's seen an organization clear out staff. He's never had a GM except a Polian. And even though Jim Mora was fired after 2001, Tom Moore, Peyton's OC, stuck around.

All I know is, I'm going to look for the biggest goddamn church in town next time I'm in Indy, because any religious institution getting Manning's money has got to be doing very well.

EDIT: I don't have to look for it, because I've already found it. Seen references to Manning as member of Second Presbyterian, which a huge church on Meridian Street. Ryan White's funeral was held there not because his family was a member, but because it could accommodate the crowd. Also, Second Pres already was well-off before Manning gave his first dime.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This would indicate that Rob Lowe was right.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/report-decision-on-peyton-mannings-future-made-weeks-ago/

Which would also indicate that Irsay is such a tool he leaked news of this to a B-list movie star.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, from Chris Jones in the Mag:

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7494404/nfl-rob-lowe-tweeted-peyton-manning-retirement-espn-checked-facts?eleven=twelve

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rob Lowe 1, Doc Gooden 0

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. The back page of ESPN The Mag has finally become the first page to read. Fantastic column by
    Jones.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Loved that line. Also cracked up at this one:

We had to go to what we call "secondary sources," otherwise known as "places on the Internet other than Wikipedia."

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted