1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bud_Bundy, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Did someone voluntarily leave to rescind that layoff? Were other people laid off to prevent this layoff?

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It smells more like a major advertiser/Hokies booster called up whoever is in charge and made them an offer they couldn't refuse ...

PaperClip529 likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Times also decided yesterday to stop having a local reporter covering statewide politics. So happy to be out of newspapers. What a mess.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Can't speak with much authority on what's going on there now, but that paper had one hell of a sports section back in the day. I interviewed for a sports desk job there in 1985 and figured it had to be one of the best sections in the country in a market of that size.

Jesus_Muscatel and maumann like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would guess a local car dealer called them up and said, “This is what happens to our advertising if you don’t cover the Hokies anymore.”

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Roanoke is a paper Buffett sold to Lee along with a bunch of other Virginia papers, including Richmond. Does Roanoke provide coverage of Virginia Tech to all the other papers in the state. And conversely, was the state politics reporter laid off made because the decision was made to have Richmond provide the coverage.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Y’all could just tag me.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah I interviewed there around 2000 or so and was fairly impressed. It was family owned then, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted