1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Times suing former Va Tech beat writer for access to Twitter account

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'm left wondering how and where and why that surname stuck with a family in the first place ...

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I've looked, and it doesn't appear that the Roanoke Times has hired a replacement for Bitter on the Va Tech beat. For a publication clearly concerned about keeping its audience for VT coverage, how is it that they don't have someone yet?

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The money they needed to hire a replacement was probably blown on the legal fees over a Twitter account. Idiots.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They hired Mike Niziolek. He is not tweeting because of the ongoing litigation, from what I understand.

5. Tweener

OK, now I'm seeing his name pop up. Not sure why the sports section isn't tweeting his content out, or why he wouldn't be tweeting about Virginia Tech on another Twitter account. That's a surprise, and a mistake.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Probably because they don't think they'd get much of their traffic for VaTech from his account. For most papers, Twitter rarely gets many clicks for stories.

Severian and goalmouth like this.
  7. Tweener

Oh, I know this all too well. It's just silly that a company that values Twitter so much that it's suing a former employee for 150k over an account is doing nothing to promote the new guy. You'd think they'd be pimping his work out pretty hard.

If I were him, I'd be pretty pissed. There's been little acknowledgement of his work.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Once more for the people in the back: TWITTER DOES NOT MEAN MORE PAGE VIEWS.

Double Down likes this.
  9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Not having to be sucked into Twitter as a beat writer? Sounds like a dream.

10. Tweener

That will obviously change, though, with the way the company values Twitter. And with the way other companies value it, one would have to think that being a beat writer without a Twitter presence would limit ones ability to find a job beyond this one.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Someday we will look back and laugh and laugh at the idea that people thought Twitter did anything for page views. It won't quite be CueCat stupid, but it will be remembered with the same shake-your-head hilarity.

12. Tweener

Absolutely, though it doesn't appear that day will be anytime soon. Editors are now more invested in Twitter than ever, despite the fact that it hasn't been proven to drive online traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted