1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Times suing former Va Tech beat writer for access to Twitter account

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So.....next steps are what? A judge reviews the complaint and counter and then determines whether or not it's worth a trial? Typically, this is where the settlement talks really heat up, but I still don't know what a settlement in this case would even look like.

This is fascinating.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Times is screwed, provided the details in the countersuit are verified.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If he has the emails from when the login info was sent to him, that makes it a completely different story than the one told in the initial filing. That's pretty much open and shut there. And I'm guessing he wouldn't have filed the countersuit if he didn't have those emails. The only thing that might mitigate it for Roanoke would be if they have emails from back then between their sports editor and Tucker discussing transferring the account to the new reporter. If they don't have some kind of paper trail like that and he has emails, they're screwed.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm still baffled why the Times is making such a big deal over a Twitter account. Do they actually think that many followers to an account will help drive traffic?

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

You mean the company only gave one side of the story in its initial filing? Who could have possibly imagined that? Certainly a board ostensibly filled with journalists might have been able to sniff that out. Instead, the corporate lackeys were predicting a slam-dunk case for their beloved company. Some of the early posts on this thread have not aged well.

franticscribe and Double Down like this.
  6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It goes back to publications overvaluing Twitter followers. The Athletic, it can be argued, wouldn't be as interested in Bitter covering Va Tech if he didn't have those followers. This is not merely the Times making a big deal, but media in general losing its mind over a following that has not proven to significantly drive online traffic.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    wicked likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I bet the click-through rate on Bitter's VT stories for the Times was tiny, because it's tiny for everyone, which is why the whole lawsuit is stupid and petty by the company.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This. I loathe the day when newsrooms put "social media following" as a job requirement.

I recently sat through a Twitter presentation. One presenter said hardly any traffic goes to our site from Twitter. Instead, they focused on "impressions" and "engagement."

What's the point of posting so much on Twitter if it hardly brings traffic? More than likely to make a story "viral," which is nothing but a cheap, rat race to drive traffic.

Meanwhile, the people at Twitter are laughing to the bank.

Tweener likes this.
  9. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I'm just pleased Bitter has a lawyer named J. Benjamin Rottenborn.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ben and I share several mutual friends and have broken bread once or twice. He's a good tennis player and a fantastic guy.

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Totally true. I run the social end for my magazine and we post to the major socials...and Facebook is the only driver for link clicks. The rest of them might combine for 1.5% of extra clicks to the website.
    On Facebook we get a 15-20% click rate...on Twitter, less than 1%.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What is interesting is the reporter is suing BH Media for defamation for something the Roanoke Times misreported about the initial lawsuit, not anything related to the ownership of the Twitter account.

Draft saved Draft deleted