1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Times designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RoanokeTimes, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Nothing to get over, Penis. Unlike Dye Pack, I don't have a problem with designers — probably because I've got to do it five nights a week.

I'm just going back to some of the original stuff on this thread about someone calling it a copy-editing position.

I will now return this thread to its originally scheduled programming.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then it shouldn't be referred to as a copy editing opening.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What part of "Roanoke Times designer" says copy editor? What part of the guy saying they lost their LEAD DESIGNER says it's a copy editing position?

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

See earlier post.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, DyePack, YOU see the earlier post.

It's a DESIGN position in which you will be asked to occasionally edit copy. I am a copy editor, and I proof pages. Was my job advertised as a page proofer? No.

You really need to pick your spots better.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

What? We're referring to the second or third post in the thread.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Right. Where someone asked if there had been a run on copy editing positions.

But you chose to quote the above post and say 'then it shouldn't be referred to as a copy editing opening' about a Roanoke-specific answer.

So either you have no idea what you're talking about, or you just choose to make your points at really bad times using the wrong quotes.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

OK, that's the post in reference. THAT is a reference to a copy-editing position.

The first post says two designers moved to the copy desk because they were ready for something different. I already made an allowance for the people possibly wanting to stay in the area or the newspaper not wanting to hire new people.

But the whole dialogue still smacks of the usual: Newspapers advertising design jobs as "copy editor" jobs or putting burnouts into copy desk roles.

9. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

You still need to get over it. Apply for positions you're interested in. If a certain ad irritates you, don't fucking apply.

Please, let's get back on track here, which is a good job at a good paper, working for a great editor.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Read the second post of the thread.

The cut-and-paste function -- continuing to get heavy use in 2007.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Why exactly is it that DyePack is banned from the design thread, but allowed to post on threads like these? Just wondering aloud. DP, don't waste your strength responding, I won't be reading anything else you write on this thread.

12. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

This opening is for a designer. When reading the ad, when do you NOT get that impression, Dye????

Please, answer that question. Then STFU!

Draft saved Draft deleted