1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke Rapids SE opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Is this a Wick paper?

Company: Roanoke Rapids Daily Herald
    Position: Community minded sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 6, 2007
    Job ID: 608930

Description:
    We are a six-day a week newspaper in the heart of a growing Valley offering a variety of outdoor activities including two lakes and the Roanoke River all in a region that is changing and growing. We cover sports in four school districts, several private schools and numerous community and city leagues. We sponsor own basketball tournament and are committed to community coverage and providing our readers with the best in sports. We are a short distance away from NASCAR venues and the heart of the ACC, Tobacco Road. This is a full-time, salaried position reporting to the managing editor. The sports editor is responsible for overseeing the newspaper’s sports coverage, reporting on local events, writing features, designing the pages and supervising the work of the sports reporter, photographer and stringers. The job requirements include: • Strong writing and editing skills. • Strong people skills and a commitment to community journalism. • A love of ALL sports. • A working knowledge of Word and QuarkXPress. • The successful candidate will have newspaper experience including writing, reporting and design. If you are interested in this position, send you resume to Managing Editor John Moeur at P.O. Box 520, Roanoke Rapids NC 27870 or via e-mail at johnmoeur@rrdailyherald.com.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you're from Halifax County or have painfully few options to get your foot in the door, perhaps it's a halfway decent gig.

Otherwise, avoid. Any "coverage" of Atlantic Coast Conference and/or the Carolina Hurricanes will almost certainly be your time and your dime. Raleigh isn't close enough to make that a feasible deal budget-wise. To boot, Richmond and Martinsville aren't exactly nearby in terms of NASCAR work. And forget Charlotte ... that's at least five hours away.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Like Sam said, you will not sniff the ACC or Hurricanes.
    The preps are all small schools, quite a few privates, which means conferences are spread out far and wide.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It is indeed a Wick paper.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Richmond's a touch over an hour away on 95; in fact, I've seen Daily Herald people at Virginia Press Association functions, and Richmond is probably closer than any consequential North Carolina city.

Paper has not impressed me the few times I've seen it, but it's a <10K in the sticks, you wouldn't expect it to.

6. Kable

Kable Member

Being born and raised from Roanoke Rapids, I'll let you know that there is not a lot of things to do there. Very slow living. Cost of living is pretty low. Yeah, the town just built a new center for concerts, but that's about it. The main store in town is the Super Wal-Mart, which is open 24 hours. Food-wise, the best place to go eat is Ralph's, which is just outside city limits in Weldon. Best BBQ around. It's good that I-95 runs through Ro-Rap, so it's about 5-10 minutes from the VA/NC border, and about 35-45 minutes to Rocky Mount (pretty much the town with a lot more stuff). It's about 1.5 hours to Raleigh BTW.

I don't know if I want to move back home, considering that I live in Raleigh now. I like Raleigh, and I just think there are more opportunities for me here in Raleigh. I wouldn't mind applying for it because I know the area, and I know I have family and friends there. I just wouldn't expect a lot of $$$.

7. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Roanoke Rapids is the most beautiful city in America . . . as it grows smaller and smaller in your rearview mirror. The SE job is a death spiral. Six-day daily with too little staff. Yep, that means you'll work six days in a row daydreaming about all the things you're going to accomplish on your one day off, Sunday, only you'll be too blown to even get off the couch. Grateful to have survived my one year there with only minimal psycholgical damage.

8. Kable

Kable Member

Haha, true. At least you didn't have to grow up there...haha. At least there is some civilization, but still, your quote is pretty much on.

9. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Glad you were able to escape, Kable. Now if we can just get you to switch allegiance to the New York Yankees, we'll be making real progress.

10. Kable

Kable Member

Sorry, ain't happening...got any other teams you want me to convert to?

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

RR does have a very pretty high school though, but it doesn't make up for its paper mill stinch.

12. Kable

Kable Member

Yeah, I went there for a year. It has had some major renovations since I was attending.

Oh yeah, that paper mill stench isn't going away anytime soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted