1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roanoke designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ColbertNation, May 19, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

The Roanoke Times, a 97,000-circulation daily in the heart of ACC country, is looking for a creative and collaborative designer to join its 15-person sports department.

The ideal candidate will have daily newspaper experience, will have demonstrated the ability to design high impact pages on deadline and will have produced great-looking special sections and dedicated weekly pages at a daily newspaper. And we want someone who is good at taking what’s been handed to them and adding their own touches and ideas to make it even better. The candidate would be asked to collaborate with reporters, photographers, graphic artists and online producers to tell stories and present information in compelling ways. Fresh, innovative thinkers encouraged.

There will be other duties as well, so experience at copy editing and headline writing is a must. You will also be asked to share ideas on how to make our sports content – in print and online – appeal to both hardcore and casual sports fans.

Our section puts an emphasis on covering ACC sports, primarily Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. We also place priority on covering prep sports as well as outdoor recreation and NASCAR. The Roanoke Valley, located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia, is also home to Class A minor league baseball.

The Roanoke Times is owned by Landmark Communications, which also owns The Virginian Pilot, the Greensboro News & Record, The Weather Channel and dozens of other smaller dailies, weeklies and broadcast outlets. We work in a team environment offering excellent pay, health and dental insurance, 401(k), pension plan, life insurance, tuition reimbursement and outstanding growth opportunities within Landmark.

The Roanoke Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Apply online at:

https://landmarkcom.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/
    highlightjob.cgi?jobid=1004

And send a cover letter, resume and 6-8 work samples to:

Jeff Gilbert
    Sports Editor
    The Roanoke Times
    P.O. Box 2491
    Roanoke, VA 24010

You may also send work samples via e-mail to: jeff.gilbert@roanoke.com.

Jeff is a good guy, and this is a solid gig. But if my math is correct, this is also the third time in the last eight months that a desk job has opened up here. Probably not a cause for concern, though. Most likely, it's just people moving on to bigger things.

2. I don't know anything about this job specifically, but I can also vouch for Jeff. Good guy.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Roanoke has a decent record for moving people up. And they're a very well-designed paper for its size, at times the equal of the Virginian-Pilot at half the circulation (which makes sense since both are part of Landmark's holy trinity, though Greensboro still lags woefully behind on the design front).

4. boots

boots New Member

If I am not mistaken, I thought this job was up earlier when someone left to take a gig in Richmond.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what? what's that? huh?

6. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

Hey Tom, there is an Internet Sports Editor -- Long Island, N.Y. job available.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks boots you fuck. i've ignored you for a third time now. eat shit and die.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm with boots - thought this job was open months ago and Roanoke was interviewing. Did those interviews not pan out, was there a delay in hiring or did the newbie already leave?

9. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Looks like they found a temporary solution then, and are still looking for a permanent one.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Giving this a bump just to see if there is any word on what's happening

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Lots of luck filling this if it hasn't already been filled.

At another Landmark newspaper, Greensboro, they just laid off a bunch of people. One of the ways they decided who would be laid off? By axing people who didn't have much service time at the paper.

12. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Yeah, don't look for this to be filled now.

Draft saved Draft deleted