1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road warrior justice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Aug 2, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a large truck because I had the cash (85 percent of it) to buy it -- and wanted it. It is much larger and more roomy than the small truck I had, which leaves room for future expansion, if you know what I mean. It is much more comfortable, drives better and rides better than my old truck.

And I don't ask anyone to be OK with it, save Mrs. TBF.

And where's the waste. My old truck -- a freakin' S-10 -- got 24 MPG at best, with its four cylinders. This one gets 21 MPG with eight.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I buy organic, local groceries. I'm planning to put solar panels on my house. I subscribe to Mother Earth News. But I need my Jeep.

After all, 2MC, what do I do when I'm pulling a boat, hauling two buddies, all our gear and two Labrador Retrievers for our yearly duck-hunting trip?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Trust me, aside from the need to kill animals, Inky is the biggest hippie I've ever known.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dodge Magnum R/T: 345 horsepower, 21 mpg, 3800-lb towing capacity, 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds and a quarter mile in less than 14.

Station wagons haul stuff. That one hauls ass, too.

;D

5. Inky_Wretch

Hey, I only kill them if they're good eating. And I practice catch-and-release when I'm fly-fishing, so it's not like I'm killing everything in nature.

2MC, the Magnum only gets 1 mpg better than my Jeep but has less ground clearance for when I'm off-road. Otherwise, I'd consider it because they are pretty sweet. I guess I could redneck one up by putting a lift kit under it, but that's too much work.

6. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

I was going to recommend the Ford Escape Hybrid, but I wasn't sure about the towing capacity.

8. Inky_Wretch

My father's dealership doesn't carry Ford, so I have to get something from the Chrysler family to get it at dealer cost. And I'm talking the real dealer cost, not the advertised dealer cost when they're having a sale.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Diesel Jeep, then. The Grand Cherokee will be getting the same CRD engine this fall that it's already been getting for years in Europe thanks to the new ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel.

10. Inky_Wretch

Trust me, that's been on my radar screen for more than a year. But the hybrid Wrangler is the one I'm really wanting to see.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

In Toronto, I'd put the odds at 1 in 100.  And that's being optimistic.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As a friend of mine once said, the only off-road those things have seen is their driveway.

Draft saved Draft deleted