1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by busdriver, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really cute waitress at the Blythe Denny's when I passed through once. The splittin' image of an ex-girlfriend. Imagine being the sportswriter who covers Blythe and has to take those massive 200-mile road trips just to cover a league game.

2. busdriver

busdriver Member

Oh My I am so sorry I thought I had checked my spelling, thank you for pointing that out.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might be lucrative if you get paid mileage. As long as you stay out of the way of that damn roadrunner, you're fine. Fuckin' bird zips by like he owns the road. :mad:

And speaking of roadrunners, anybody been through west Texas on I-10? Anybody ever stop and say hi to Pecos Pete in Fort Stockton? I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Stopped in Fort Stockton lots of times, but never saw any Pecos Pete. I suppose it's just that I'm in a hurry to get the hell out of there.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who in the hell is Pecos Pete and why isn't he in Pecos instead of Fort Stockton?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I drove from Idaho to Texas in 3 days. I was in a budget truck 16-footer towing a car and could only go about 60 the entire way. I really enjoyed Wyoming and the Texas panhandle where the wind was raging.

The Boise to Seattle trip is about 9 hours, that is the longest I have done alone and it is really boring in eastern Oregon on I-84 where the speed limit is 65 and there are state troopers everywhere.

I was going to drive from Texas to Oregon this summer in 2 days, but that trip is pending.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Pecos Pete is this giant, 20-foot tall fiberglass roadrunner statue in downtown Fort Stockton. Just one of those kitschy, roadside attraction things, and since you almost HAVE to stop in Fort Stockton anyway (seeing as how it's the only town for 300 miles), it's worth a looksee if you're into that sort of thing.
    I guess he's called "Pecos" because the town is near the Pecos River. Last time I was through there was about 10 years ago. I hope he's still there.

8. busdriver

busdriver Member

OK I had so much trouble getting on here for a while but I did go on my trip and it was not the greatest and I will not be making the trip again. Not that the person was bad but it was other things that happened and I said my goodbyes and did not look back. However I missed the cold one in mound with Flip simply because I could not get on here. but thanks for the stories.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd love to take a trip like that. I think it's every man's dream.

Sigh ... maybe one day.

10. busdriver

busdriver Member

you never know.

Draft saved Draft deleted