1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by busdriver, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

They best have made a visit to the Corn Palace...

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Busdriver, if you want to have a cold beverage when you're in town, send me a PM. I'm close by.

3. busdriver

busdriver Member

Hey Wilson that sounds great
    If you are up for company that late
    I am leaving here around 6:30 so that would put me in Gatesville about 10:30 or so.
    but by that time I will have been driving for a total of about 10 altogether for the day
    and I will be ready for a cold one
    Hell it might even calm my nerves.
    Hey here is a funny one
    y'all need to ask Allen how bad I was shaking that first night we meet alone, if he remembers.
    I think it took me about a good 10. min to settel myself down however it could have had something to do with what I had on to.
    Alley do you remember that night?

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Toronto to Montreal is 14 hours? By way of Boston maybe....

Mr. Friend O' has to chime in on this thread with his tale of driving from Toronto to Ottawa for a Sens game....

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, Montreal to Toronto is five hours. I had already driven 14 hours from halifax.

Yes, and I haven't heard that story from FoF in a while.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've done plenty of 20-hour-plus trips driving from New Jersey to Louisiana for the annual back-to-school trip in college. Worst was one year my mother and I did the trip non-stop (about 23 hours). We got home about 2 p.m., and first thing I saw was our yard had grass about two feet high. My dad had apparently been sick (or drunk) and unable to cut it for a few weeks. I was incredibly pissed.
    So, despite being dead tired, I spent an hour cleaning beer bottles, broken glass, old hobo pants and assorted crap from the yard (enough to fill a shopping cart that was also laying around), then another hour cutting it. All the while, I was seething and wanted to fight my dad. What a family we had.

Also have done several multi-day trips for vacation. In college, the dorm closed for a week during spring break so I drove from Baton Rouge to Phoenix to kill time. In El Paso, I got the brilliant idea to go to Mexico just to say I'd been there. On the way across the border, my car overheats. On a Sunday.
    A horde of Mexican cab drivers wanders over in a futile attempt to help fix my car. At one point, one of them laughs, points at the engine and says "El Junke", thus earning the car its nickname forever more. One of the cabbies and his english-speaking wife take me on a scenic tour of Juarez for 10 minutes trying to find an auto parts store. Cost: $40. At least the guy's kids, who were sitting in the backseat with me, ate well that night.
    After that, I spent the next 14 hours alternately freaking out, wandering into El Paso to look for an auto parts store, unsuccessfully trying to fix the car, and meandering back and forth across the border like some sort of reverse illegal immigrant. This was 1997, before cheap cell phones, and the nearest pay phone was a block from the border crossing in El Paso.
    The ordeal started at noon. At 8 p.m., it was getting dark so I called a tow truck. At 2 a.m., after six hours and increasingly annoyed hourly calls to the towing company, the wrecker finally arrives -- with a mexican driver who doesn't speak english and has glittery Jesus stickers covering up most of the gauges on his dash board.
    Following a hilarious game of charades with he and a mexican border agent to show them where the car is, we get the car towed back across the border and to a dealership in El Paso. Best $75 I ever spent. By the time I got to the dealership it was after 3 a.m., and I just slept in the backseat until the place opened.
    After getting the car fixed, I continued on to Phoenix, with a stop in Tucson for a spring training game. Great seats along the third base line, but also the worst sunburn of my life. The skin started peeling and cracking two days later, and pulled leg hairs every time it did it. Just awful, awful pain.
    And that was just three days into the trip.
    The rest of the week was boring, since I had no real plan other than to drive around Arizona. I was so bored, one day I drove from Phoenix to Blythe, Calif., just to cross California off my 50-state list.
    Worst. Vacation. Ever.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I do indeed remember that night.

8. busdriver

busdriver Member

One day as long as it is ok with Alley I will tell you all the funny story about ow it all tok place.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

My God.

What do you do.......type with your toes?

Typos.......typos everywhere.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is she currently staying at the women's pen in Gatesville?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Blythe sucks . . . even the Denny's and McDonald's there are crappier than usual.

I admit to driving from Pittsburgh to Weirton, W.Va., to cross West Virginia off my list. Lunch at the DQ . . . . mmmmmm--Grease!

However, Weirton is much nicer than Blythe.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of taking a roadie to Portsmouth tomorrow night for a hoops playoff game, but a foot of snow is on the way sometimes around midnight, they say, and I don't want to get caught between the moon and New York City if the storm arrives earlier. The team should lose but could win.

Draft saved Draft deleted