1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by busdriver, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There was the outing drive to Toronto last year. Our end of it took about 15 hours, give or take an hour or so.

A couple of years ago, I went with my roommate to south Florida to get some furniture his sister willed to us. I think that took about 12 hours non-stop.

And thank goodness I have no BYH-level trip assiness to add to my stories. Thank goodness.

2. My longest trip was when I took all two weeks of my vacation and spent it driving from Va. to visit a friend in Northern Florida, a friend in New Orleans, a friend and family in various parts of Ind., a friend in Chicago, a friend in Detroit, family in New York, family in New Jersey and then back to Virginia. About 5,500 miles if I remember correctly.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

At this point, any trip less than 9 hours is not a problem.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

BYH's bag reminds me of the 40 Year Old Virgin.

"You ever watch, like, Primetime Live ... when they take a black light into a hotel room ... and show you all the semen all over the bedspread?

... can see that [bag] from space." :D

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll share my road trip story, although busdriver already knows this one...

My last year in the Navy and my grandfather had left me a Lincoln Towncar after he died. So I fly from Connecticut to Houston and my sister and I start driving the thing back together. We go nonstop until the Tennessee/Virginia border, not far from Bristol, when we stopped at a truck stop. Since the place had showers, etc., we both got freshened up, added more gas and oil, got coffee and food, etc., and decided to make the rest of the trip nonstop as well.

Except that my sister was waiting for me in the car, with the doors locked. Somehow, in trying to open the car, I set off the alarm.

So here we are in a Lincoln Towncar, trying in vain to shut off the alarm at 3 a.m., and these truckers are starting to walk toward us with mean looks in their expressions. My sister calls my mom, wakes her up out of a dead sleep and begs her to try and remember the push-button combination on the door which will turn off the alarm. After two tries we finally got it, the truckers went away and we were on the road again shaking but alive and OK.

And we made it the rest of the way nonstop.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Two summers ago, my retired parents - Dad in his early 70's, Mom in her late 60's - decided they were going to take a 3-week driving trip from their home in Northwest Alabama to the Great Northwest, then go south along the Pacific coast to L.A. (they were stationed in Long Beach in the late '50s), go visit a family friend in Phoenix and finally head back east.

The old man's a career Navy guy and had visited every state except two - Minnesota and Montana. So they take off north at a leisurely pace and go out of their way to drive into Minnesota just so he could cross No. 49 off his list, then turn west into South Dakota on their way to Seattle.

The novelty of the adventure began to wear off about Mitchell, S.D. But they venture on, hitting Montana to make it 50-of-50, and continuing on toward Seattle.

Then something went wrong with their new land barge and they dropped $800 on repairs at a Buick dealership in Everett (sp?), Wash. After spending 3 nights in Seattle, I get the call on a Sunday afternoon: "This trip is wearing us out. We're coming home in the morning."

Their return trip, in a nutshell:

Day 1 - Seattle to Casper, Wyo. I don't know how far it is, but had to have taken them, what, 16-18 hours?

Day 2 - Casper, Wyo. to Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Day 3 - Cape Girardeau to Sweet Home Alabama. They were back home by 4 p.m.

Makes my longest road trip, Tuscaloosa-to-Houston, look like a trip to the grocery store.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Spring break my freshman year of college, 1985, eight guys, two cars, Minneapolis to Clearwater, Florida where we were going to stay at the house of one of the guys on the trip. Why his mother ever agreed to take in seven college guys on spring break is beyond me. The woman was a saint.

Left on a Friday night about 5 p.m. One of the guys was from Joliet, Illinois so we stopped at his house about 1-2 in the morning for dinner/breakfast and got back on the road. Saw the sun come up somewhere over north central Indiana, god what an ugly state. One of the guys in our car was a complete idiot and almost got us killed when he cut off a semi going downhill on the interstate in Tennessee.

Other than that the drive was pretty uneventful. We arrived in Clearwater sometime on Saturday evening and began drinking heavily. Watched Georgetown lose to Nova at a sports bar on Monday night. Attended a couple of spring training games. Laid on the beach. Continued drinking heavily all week.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two years ago, I did Halifax to Toronto by myself. 19 hours non-stop. Got to Montreal and thought, fuck it, I'm only five hours away, I'll keep driving.

Have also done Toronto to Tampa non-stop with a buddy. 24 hours.

9. busdriver

busdriver Member

Yes, Gatesville Tx. and I hope top have one of the best times of my life there.
    From whee I am at it is a four hour drive about 225miles one way. So I am hoping that the reason I am going is reeeeeeaaaaallllyyy good, and that it won't be last ;D,
    I liked reading the stories and hope to read more before I go.
    and will make sure I pack plenty of paper.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone is planning on getting some. :eek:

11. busdriver

busdriver Member

Well that could be a prospect but not the whole reason.
    However I am meeting someone special.
    I did not want to say that is the whole reason for my trip but I will say I am hoping it will happen. ;D ;D

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . ."And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about 100 miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

Draft saved Draft deleted