1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This was my first trip out West. By car, anyway. I'll definitely be making it again in the future.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City are especially outstanding.

Man, I miss driving out there.

3. highlander

highlander Member

MDS is closing down.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Fuckin' A right it's Angelo's. I recently traveled 2,500 miles just to eat at Angelo's (OK, also to see my friends, but mostly for Angelo's). Every meal comes complete with potato salad, beans, cole slaw, pickles, slices of raw onion and two slices of white bread. Classic. I have many jars of their spices and rubs.

Ryan, glad you had a good time. For the bar and "club" scene, it doesn't get much better than DFW.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm a little bitter I missed out on Angelo's. Next time, for sure.

And the ATM fees at the "clubs" set a new personal high. 10 effing percent. Ouch. Completely worth it, though. :)

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tho, I've never been to the Springs, but the drive to Glenwood Springs from Breckenridge is amazing. Glenwood canyon is gorgeous, freaking gorgeous. Salt Lake is a fun drive, Dever to Summit County is pretty good too but I drive it quite a bit now. Let's see..Wyoming is interesting.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If you're looking for a good "Welcome to Texas" sign, next time come in from Louisiana on I-10.

There is a welcome sign, but better yet a mile or so in is the standard city/distance sign, except this one says something like "Port Arthur -- 5 miles / El Paso -- 847 miles."

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

868 miles, actually. The exit for Orange on I-10 is Exit 868. Last exit before you enter New Mexico is Exit 0.

Holy shit, that's a long drive west, especially after you leave San Antonio.

And yeah, Ryan, the disparity between the cardboard villages south of I-10 across the Rio Grande and parts of El Paso, especially the UTEP area, north of I-10 was incredibly striking to me the first time I saw it.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Our drive for spring break in college was 13 hours, all without leaving Texas. Then on one baseball trip in the Northeast, I once was in seven different states between dinner and going to bed. So weird.

Also, a trivia tidbit: Texas is bigger than France.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I figured someone would have the right mileage. Thanks.

"The sun is riz, the sun is set, and you ain't out of Texas yet."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I once flew from Richmond to Atlanta, Atlanta to Dallas and Dallas to El Paso. Someone swore to me the last leg was the longest.
    I pick up some incredible boots in Juarez. I have to go look for them. Seriously awesome.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, I could believe that.

Draft saved Draft deleted