1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 9, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I guess we'll agree to disagree, then.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is great.

And the best place to kill someone and get away easily was on top of the knoll.

Fucking a, our country was a mess back then.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Actually, if you're going to Fort Worth and want Mexican, skip Joe T's and hit El Rancho Grande near the Stockyards. Then go to Joe T's for an after dinner drink for the ambience.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Funny, but I can't see how this is helping. This one place is great ... no, skip that place and go to this place ... No, that place is overrated ...
    But it's not like I have anything to offer, so I'll step away ... :p

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm reading Boys Will Be Boys about the 90s Cowboys teams, and they mention Mia's Tex Mex, which is where Jones and Johnson were photographed the night the news broke about the takeover. Apparently, it's still there. We might try that place.

Re: The Sixth Floor Museum or whatever....won't have time. We'll definitely drive through and take a look around the area, but no time for museums.

Thanks to whoever gave the tip about making sure you have plenty of gas in the car at certain spots.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Mia's is not good. It's fru-fru Mexican food. The suggestion El Rancho Grande in Fort Worth was a good one. Then margarita's at Joe T's. They are especially strong.

7. JackReacher

Trip's over, so here's a few thoughts, for those who are interested...

Nashville was what it always has been...great. Stayed at the Renaissance Marriott downtown, which is the ideal place to be. One block to Broadway. Perfect.

Dallas was better than I expected, although the heat was brutal. At 10 p.m., it was about 90 degrees with what seemed like 100 percent humidity. Just awful. The bar scene was fantastic, though. Stayed at a Marriott Suites at Market Center. Huge room, 42-inch plasma TV. Great view.

El Paso was....well....interesting. Mexico on one side of I-10, El Paso on the other. Seemed like a nice city, though. Had no idea it was so big. UTEP campus is smaller than I expected, but the setting in the mountains is gorgeous. Took lots of pictures from the Sun Bowl.

The drive from about Odessa to El Paso is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The desert mountains were awesome to see up close. Plus, the speed limit was 80. I was going 100 and getting passed. Quite interesting.

Other highlights....seeing Permian HS and Ratliff Stadium was cool. The gates at the stadium were locked, but the groundskeeper let us in to take pics. Even took us up to the press box for pics. Not bad. ...The food selection was a bit of a letdown. I did introduce my brother to Sonic. He's hooked on Cherry Limeades now, as he should be. Nothing special to eat in Nashville. Really nothing special in Dallas either. Had some great Mexican food in El Paso...shocker. And I still don't get the appeal of Chico's Tacos. They're not even tacos! They're 6-inch taquitos with nothing inside. Just a terrible waste of time and money. ...The um, clubs, in Dallas were pheeeeenominal. Great party city. ...We stopped in Memphis for "lunch" but got into town a little earlier than expected. Were the first customers at both B.B. King's BBQ place and at Wet Willie's. ...Totally disappointed that we didn't see a Welcome to Texas sign.

Overall, the trip was fantastic. Driving cross country was much easier than I expected, and I will do it again. Hopefully, soon.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For years, Dallas had the best "club" scene in the nation. Million Dollar Saloon used to be legendary.

9. JackReacher

Nice. That place sounds like a winner.

Before we ventured out to the "clubs", we went to an area called McKinney, I think. Had a row of bars and restaurants. Found a decent sports bar there. Good food and beer in 32 oz. schooners. Very cool.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In the Metroplex, you'll have to go to Fort Worth for good barbeque; no such place exists in Dallas. There's a place in FW that always did a fantastic business the week of the Colonial; I want to say it had a person's name in the title . . . Angelo's? . . . but I could be mistaken.

11. JackReacher

Oh. And the new Cowboys Stadium? Ridiculous. Biggest damn stadium I've ever seen. Looks like a space station. Just crazy.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice trip.

Have you ever driven out West? Once you cross into Arizona, those roads make the El Paso/Dallas drive seem bland.

The Flagstaff to New Mexico highway is especially "Oh My Tebow" nice. Tucson to Phoenix is not bad as well, especially during a full moon.

Draft saved Draft deleted