1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 9, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

If you want Mexican food, Joe T. Garcia's is the place. (Although it's been expanded, and thus purists are saying it's lost a step.)

It's in Fort Worth, which is a haul, but you therefore lose the Dallas pretentiousness.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Serious drinking occurs at my second home - Lakewood Landing.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I didn't know you hung out there. Great burgers at that place.

4. Bad Guy Zero

It's right around the corner from where I live. I can stumble home in under five minutes!

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

While in Dallas, take an hour or so to go through the Sixth Floor Museum in the Dallas Schoolbook Depository at Dealey Plaza.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's a very well constructed and designed museum that does a great job of looking at that fateful event.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Besides, Bill Hicks said that the sniper's perch looks exactly as it did that fateful day: Oswald isn't there!

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just walking Dealey Plaza and seeing so many of the views you'd seen in pictures all your life is kind of eery. I remember staying at the Reunion Hyatt just across the railroad tracks (over the triple overpass). On the third floor or so they have an outdoor sports deck with basketball and tennis courts and a jogging track that goes around the courts. I went down there for a jog and came around a corner and was looking right down Elm Street across the triple overpass to where the Kennedy limo would have been pointing straight at me with the Schoolbook Depository right behind it. It almost knocked me off my feet.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

There are so many actually good mexican food places in Cruces you sure as hell don't need to waste your time at La Posta.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Classic bit.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I love Chuy's in Dallas for Tex-Mex. There's a couple locations. I used to haunt the one just north of downtown. It's a state-wide chain based in Austin, and it is awesome.

I didn't like Joe Allen's that much the couple times I ate there. The friend I went with said it wasn't the same since they moved buildings. The Wall Street Grill in Midland is a quality choice, though it may be a little nice for lunch.

Make sure you're not low on gas after you leave the Petroplex. There is nothing between there and El Paso, and that's after there's not much between Dallas, Abilene and Midland-Odessa. Lots of dead deer, trucks, and eventually 80 mph speed limit.

12. highlander

highlander Member

Okay first, you should have stayed in Fort Worth. The downtown area is excellent.

Secondly, for Joe Allen's. You need to go to Mary's in Strawn for the chicken fried steak. Mary's is world famous for its chicken fried steak and it is on the way to El Paso.

Draft saved Draft deleted