1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm road-tripping from Virginia to El Paso next week with my brother. He's being stationed at Fort Bliss, and we're driving his car. I'll be flying back.

We're stopping for a night in Nashville and Dallas on the way down. I know enough about Nashville to have a good time, but I've never been to Dallas. We're staying at the Marriott Suites Market Place, a little northwest of downtown. Any suggestions on where to eat and where to drink?

We plan on stopping for lunch in Memphis during the Nashville-to-Dallas leg, but apparently Rendevous (sp) doesn't open until something silly like 4 p.m. What's the second best BBQ place in town? Or any other good place?

Not sure where we'll stop for lunch on the Dallas-El Paso leg. Looks like we'll be going through the Midland-Odessa area. Is there anything worth stopping for there?

Thanks in advance.

2. mb

mb Active Member

Fark Midland-Odessa

Abilene: Joe Allen's. Get the brisket. http://www.joeallens.com/
    Buffalo Gap: Perini Ranch. Get the peppercorn tenderloin. http://www.periniranch.com/

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Perini Ranch was featured on the Today Show today for, of all things, its burger.

If you do stop to eat in the Petroplex (Midland-Odessa), my suggestion is Jorge's (3952 E. 42nd St. in Odessa). It's actually fairly easy to get to from I-20. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu, but I favor pescado y camarones en salsa de ajo y limon (grilled fish and shrimp in garlic-lemon sauce).

It probably won't fit into your schdule, but Chuy's in Van Horn is pretty good Tex-Mex, as well.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on Joe Allen's. Looks pretty good from the few pictures on its website. Plus, Abilene is a good stopping point. Midland might be far to wait for lunch. Especially being hungover. :)

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

While in Dallas stop for tacos at Fuel City [Industrial Blvd. between I-30 and I-35E]. The tacos live up to the hype. Plus the accompanying atmosphere has to be seen to be believed. If you prefer your tacos a bit larger and with a more subdued environment check out Taco Joint. It's just NE of downtown at Gaston and Peak. It's about halfway between where I live and where I work. I stop there a couple of times a week for breakfast or lunch [depending on what time I roll out of bed]. They close at 2pm and they're closed all day on Sunday so keep that in mind if you're thinking about dropping in.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When in El Paso head up I-10 west to Old Mesilla just outside of Cruces and eat at La Posta, and visit the Billy the Kid Museum. You'll thank me later.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When you're in Memphis, go to Central Barbecue (2249 Central Ave.). It's not in the best neighborhood, as it's over by the Liberty Bowl, and it's a dump. But it's definitely worth the trip. While Rendezvous is the world-famous place, it's not that great, IMO. Corky's is OK, but it's not much better than chain Corky's you can get anywhere else. If it's not too hot out, you can sit outside at Central and enjoy some very interesting people watching.

If you guys plan on stopping, check out a Red Birds game downtown, if they're in town. Great stadium right off Beale.

Also, you should probably PM Inky on Memphis stuff. I don't know where he is, but he always seems to know about Memphis.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You rang?

I second Central Barbecue. There are at least 20 barbecue joints in Memphis better than Rendezvous, this is one of them.

In Dallas, go to Bubba's on Hillcrest (near SMU) for the best fried chicken in the state. For drinks, you can't go wrong with The Gingerman or Trinity Hall.

9. It may be out of your way, but look on your Texas map for a town called Brownwood. It's south of Abilene.

Smack in the middle of town is a place called Underwood's Cafeteria.

The only drawback is the line may be out of the building. But it's damn good barbecue. And finish it off with the cobbler.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Over-RATED!!
    Clap, clap, clapclapclap

:)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: drinking in Dallas

In addition to http://dallas.gingermanpub.com and http://www.trinityhall.tv, check out http://www.windmill-lounge.com if you're in the mood for serious drinking.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When in Nashville, avoid the Dave & Buster's. I hear the waitresses are a little nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted