1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

road trip advice - worth it to see Cubs??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am relocating a car from Florida to my home in Canada and I am hoping to do the drive as fast as I legally can.

I have not done a big US road trip in a few years so I have a few questions that I am hoping to get some feedback on.

How are the rest stops for sleeping in your car, specifically Missouri, Tennessee, South Dakota, and Montana. It seems in years past there was always someone on the news getting busted using the rest stop as a bath house. Is this still common or have they calmed down. Are they generally reasonably crime free?

I have had mixed luck using Motel 6 in the past, assuming this is still the case?

Any absolute must eat places on the following interstates:

I-75 in Georgia
    I-24 in Tennessee
    I-70 in Missouri
    I-90 South Dakota

Any advice to keeping awake short of picking up a meth head hitch hiker?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: No Burt or Jerry to help, road trip advice

You're fine in Georgia and Tennessee. Most of the rest stops are pretty nice and clean and patrolled. Though any place could be dicey at night.

Don't be in such a hurry. Enjoy the trip. I'd love to go through the Dakotas.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I recommend the Days Inns. Especially in the South. Never had a problem with them being comfortable or clean, and they're fairly cheap and usually not full.

Otherwise, good luck. Take a few pictures, even if you're going 80+ mph. (makes them more artsy)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You've had better luck than I've had in Days Inn's. I'd rather die than stay in another one of those!

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Nashville airport.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When you stop at Stucky's, you want to order the pecan log with extra gravy.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are you passing I-57 at all? Just a short jog from 24 on 57 in Sikeston, Mo., is the original Lambert's Cafe. Very, very good all-you-can-eat place. It was No. 1 on an old Travel Channel show about the best places in the U.S. to pig out.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I live at the Tennessee-Kentucky line (Clarksville, Tenn.) on I-24.

You're more than welcome to stay here if we're home.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit, why didn't you live there when I was traveling back and forth from Florida for three years?

10. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

There's a huge truck stop halfway across Missouri on I-70 at Kingdom City. It's not a rest area, but has some relatively cheap hotels, and as far as I know is relatively safe. I used to live in the area and never heard about any crime from anyone staying at that exit.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am trying to squeeze in a sportsing event on this trip and it looks like a Cubs game on Friday afternoon might work. Can any Chicago folks tell me a bit about tickets?

It is a late season game against Arizona. Am I better buying tickets on-line or buying from scalpers outside Wrigley? I can get a seat on-line behind the visitor's bench for $80, probably not the best value but is the price worth the convenience. My time is a little more precious than money in this case.

Thanks for the other replies on this thread as well, very much appreciated.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

South Dakota? I give you the The Corn Palace

http://www.cornpalace.com/index.php

Draft saved Draft deleted