1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 25, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hell, I know diddly about college baseball, and I know not to sell the Big West short.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

TCU going to the bottom of the ninth tied, 1-1, with Siena with potential to blow a big day for the Big 12. OK State is up 6-0 and Texas, Kansas and Texas Tech all took care of business.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Fullerton is a college baseball powerhouse ... but not this year.
    Irvine is a really good program ... but not this year.
    Long Beach didn't crack .500 until about the last two weeks of the season and hasn't made the postseason since 2008.
    THIS YEAR, the jury is still out on the Big West.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And knowing how college baseball goes ... the Big West might sneak in and win the title when least expected. Vastly underrated conference east of the Colorado -- the river, not the state. And with all the garbage the Titans have gone through this year, rising up and getting to Omaha and even winning to go with their pace of a title once a decade would not be the biggest shocker in the world.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What a bed-shitting display in Tallahassee, even by Florida State's lofty standards.
    FSU goes 17 innings without scoring, then scores five in the bottom of the ninth before losing 6-5 to Alabama. Seminoles are D-U-N done. First time since 1984 they haven't won a game in a regional.

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

FSU coach sends a .167 pinch-hitter to the plate with two outs in the ninth and runners at the corners. Nice way to kill a four walk, two hit batsmen five-run rally, idiot.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Gator fans won't even get to laugh at FSU, since they're about to go two-and-barbecue at home too. Yikes.

The team I covered just went two-and-cue. I'm not complaining. I'm worn the fuck out.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The teams who have made it this far have played about 60 games. NCAA baseball is a damn long season.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Two-and-cue for me too. I'm out.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Mississippi State finally put away Jackson State 3-1, but they had to burn their closer, Jonathan Holder, to do it. Holder went 5 1/3 in relief, allowed one hit and struck out 9.

Regardless of how it plays out, JSU has earned itself some props. They were 0-10 (by some frightful scores) in the NCAAs coming into the Lafayette regional, but they beat U LaLa 1-0 last night and gave the Pups all they wanted tonight.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Nate Kirby, from my neck of the woods in suburban Richmond, dominates Arkansas to the tune of an 8-inning one-hitter with 9 strikeouts as Virginia wins 3-0.

Kirby already has a no-hitter this season, when he K'd 18 at Pitt.

6-2 lefty with a 93 mph fastball, hammer 12-6 curve and unhittable slider. Barring injury, he's going to get paid very well after next season.

Draft saved Draft deleted