1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 28, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Birdscribe, you're working the Sorenstam tourney this week, right? I plan to attend the USD regional (at San Diego State) in hopes that USD and CSF (my alma mater, too) meet in a Saturday night game. Too bad, would love to have the chance to hang out.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It's college baseball: Teams win (and lose) games they shouldn't all the time. I may be wrong, but I tend to put a lot more weight on what teams do in series and conference games as opposed to what they do out of conference or in individual midweek games. The wins over Coastal are nice, but those were individual midweekers. And the win over San Diego was part of a 1-win series.

Eight of Wake's 14 conference wins were over pretty awful teams. I'll check the stats, but I've got a hard time believing Wake saw any of Coastal's top pitcher(s) in a single midweek game.

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

My mistake. I read a story that said Templeton said "by rule."

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yeah. I'm here in South Carolina, trying to sked a get-together (not an "outing" Moddy), with the SC SJ chapter. That offer sounded like a keeper.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Your 7-bid ACC results from Day 1 of play:

(1) N. Carolina def. (4) Jacksonville, 6-0
    (1) Florida State def. (4) Bethune-Cookman, 6-2
    (1) Virginia def. (4) Lafayette, 5-1
    (2) Clemson def. (3) St. John's, 3-2
    (2) UC Irvine def. (3) Wake Forest, 13-0
    (3) Louisville def. (2) Miami, 13-7
    (3) Charlotte def. (2) N.C. State, 6-3

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Awesome. Good for Louisville. Anything to make sure the Canes aren't in Omaha.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Fullerton wins Friday 7-1 over Minnesota and has a good chance to make it at least to a Super Regional if they can take care of Fresno State tonight.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What a gift they got to even get into that regional. Now to see they have a great shot at getting to a super with that pitching ... just amazing.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Let's hope. I'm not a big fan of Raisin St., largely because at one of my former shops, I had an ex-boss who tried running me out and an annoying co-worker who both went there. So for Fullerton to beat the Raisinettes is extra nice.

I watched this, courtesy of the rain in OKC at the Softball CWS and ESPN's decision to switch over. Roemer's schizoid outings continue. Battered around for four innings (only Minn's. inability to get that timely hit saved him), then virtually untouchable for the duration.

I can't fathom how they got into that region (covered earlier), but I'm glad they're there.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hey Oz...

I saw some KU baseball players Friday night...

...they were sitting in the stands watching Mizzou host a regional and kick Kent State's ass.

:D

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU made the CWS in 1993. When was the last time Mizzou made it to Omaha? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted