1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 28, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They just opened the NCAA baseball selection show asking whether "one of the perennial ACC powers" will win the title.

You mean the conference that hasn't won an NCAA baseball championship in more than 50 years?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Good point.

The ACC teams seem to be notorious for their uninspired performances once they get to Omaha.

Last year, North Carolina pulled one of the all-time choke jobs against Oregon State.

And I remember a few years ago FSU probably had the best team but they lost their ace to a torn ACL he sustained when jumping on the pile to celebrate the victory that clinched their spot in the World Series. The kid ended up pitching the championship game against Miami but they were clearly worn down because they lost the first game and had to play a bunch of days in a row.

My question is -- has moving to the ACC helped or hurt Miami's baseball program?

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm trying to think of something more overrated than ACC baseball.

I'm having trouble coming up with something.

4. zagoshe

How about -- ACC football since Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College joined? Or ACC basketball?

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well ACC basketball has won two titles this decade so they are exempt.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Three of the 16 regional sites are located in the West - Arizona State, Long Beach State and San Diego State (University of San Diego is the regional host).

As always, I root for the West Coast team that makes it to Omaha. I am a Cal State Fullerton alum, but I also happen to like USD, the No. 5 team in the nation and the newly crowned West Coast Conference champions (regular season and the WCC postseason series champion).

Edit/update: I'm happy as can be now. USD's solid and Cal State Fullerton gets a chance to see what it can do. If both win their first games on Friday, they'll meet up on Saturday night. USD did beat CSF in a mid-week game this season at CSF. Can't wait to go.

7. zagoshe

True, though I don't think the league is nearly as deep and strong from top to bottom as Duke Vitale would love us to believe.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Tough regional in Wichita. Wichita State has enough pitching to make it to Omaha, but Arizona and a very good Oral Roberts team also will play in the Wichita regional.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Last I heard, Coastal Carolina's RPI was No. 7. Chants ended up drawing what works out to the No. 11 overall seed.

South Carolina also dropped like a rock. Gamecocks were looking good for a national seed about a week ago and apparently barely landed a No. 1. They're lined up with North Carolina (3 overall).

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The big deal they were making on the selection show was only five SEC teams making the field.

Is it that big a deal that Tennessee et al. are out? I know Florida wasn't eligible, but still, you think there'd be more.

11. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

The ACC deserves the grief it gets for not winning it all, but it did have four of the eight teams in Omaha last year. I'm sure there's an argument for host teams doing their job by holding serve, but it's not like the ACC teams were all knocked out in the regional round last year.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The official novel of this thread:

[​IMG]

Big 1T1en football.

Draft saved Draft deleted